1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strange Problem with MIM Jazz Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TexasBBQ, Mar 24, 2006.

1. I am hoping that someone here can help explain a problem I had last night. I was playing my recent MIM Jazz at rehearsal and started to notice a fuzzy sound and the feeling that certain notes were dead. Coincidently, I was wearing earplugs for the first time. I thought that they were the culprits, but upon removing them, the problem remained. In the heat of rehearsal, I couldn’t troubleshoot the problem logically. Afterwards, I checked the amp and speakers with another bass and ruled them out.

I then went to check the bass and discovered the adjusting screws the control the height of the bridge saddles on the E and A strings were almost at the lowest positions. The D and G's were normal. I know I didn’t move them and bass had been in it's case since the last time I used it. Is it possible that they rotated on their own? Has this happened to any one else?

Any comments or solutions welcomed.

Thanks in advance, A.A.

2. The vibrations of playing the instrument can cause that to happen. Adjust them to your desired height and use some locktight (sp?) or clear fingernail polish on the threads and you'll be fine. This is a relatively common problem.

3. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    +1 Loctite blue will fix it. I had the same problem with a Piezo bridge on a SR5. Problem solved.

4. Thanks for the advice, I'm on it with Locktite..

A.A.