Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slowburnaz, Feb 25, 2003.

1. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
  2. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Bump... anyone?

3. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    The neck looks like a 4003S (minus the binding and sharkfin inlay of a regular 4003) Body looks like a 4003S: no binding and the front is countoured. They were making the black/blonde combos like that in 86. The knobs look like they came off a 4001V63.

4. there are a few Rick fanatics on Harmony-Central...you could check with them

5. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    I never seen one like that. The only thing that scares me is ALL SALES FINAL! In the words of Steve Miller ( come on take the money and run)

6. Acctully it's,"go on, take the money and run!":D

7. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Hey I'm not to bright,look at my picture!! But you are right..:D

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My first reaction was that it's a "Tuxedo" that's been stripped. I'm sure they're talking about it at the Ric Forum...

9. The strange thing is, the guy selling this isn't selling it as an S, but rather just a 4003. That fretboard clearly isn't a 4003 fretboard, and the knobs are vintage knobs, rather than the normal ones a 4003 should have. If it's a plain 4003, it's definitely been modified in appearance. And I have my doubts about it being an S, because anybody in their right mind would know that saying it's an S means more $. He owns more than one Rick, so should know this... Also "No reserve" with it being in such excellent condition is something that makes me wary.

I say the easiest way to figure out whether it's a fake or real is to post the url to the Rickenbacker Discussion Forum (http://www.brunnet.net/rickresource/discus/). They're usually really good at pointing them out.