Strange Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slowburnaz, Feb 25, 2003.

1. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
  2. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    The neck looks like a 4003S (minus the binding and sharkfin inlay of a regular 4003) Body looks like a 4003S: no binding and the front is countoured. They were making the black/blonde combos like that in 86. The knobs look like they came off a 4001V63.
  3. there are a few Rick fanatics on could check with them
  4. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    I never seen one like that. The only thing that scares me is ALL SALES FINAL! In the words of Steve Miller ( come on take the money and run)
  5. Acctully it's,"go on, take the money and run!":D
  6. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Hey I'm not to bright,look at my picture!! But you are right..:D
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My first reaction was that it's a "Tuxedo" that's been stripped. I'm sure they're talking about it at the Ric Forum...
  8. The strange thing is, the guy selling this isn't selling it as an S, but rather just a 4003. That fretboard clearly isn't a 4003 fretboard, and the knobs are vintage knobs, rather than the normal ones a 4003 should have. If it's a plain 4003, it's definitely been modified in appearance. And I have my doubts about it being an S, because anybody in their right mind would know that saying it's an S means more $. He owns more than one Rick, so should know this... Also "No reserve" with it being in such excellent condition is something that makes me wary.

I say the easiest way to figure out whether it's a fake or real is to post the url to the Rickenbacker Discussion Forum ( They're usually really good at pointing them out.