Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange Right Hand Technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by vegaas, Dec 1, 2003.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I always thought that I rested my thumb at the top of the bass and played an anchored position.
    Well it turns out that I dont. My thumb just kind of sits off to the side.
    Here is a pic where you can see what I am talking about.
    [​IMG]

Has anyone ever seen anyone else play like this? I feel very comfortable when I play, and I dont feel it inhibits me at all.

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    It almost looks like you're anchoring with your palm - is that the case?

The only thing I would offer is that it appears that you aren't getting very much curvature on your plucking hand, thus you're plucking technique may not be as effective, tonally speaking, as it could be.

Do you find that your fingers are almost slapping the strings or are you noticing any sustain (or lack thereof) issues?

3. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Yeah, thats basically it. I anchor with my palm. I havent had many issues with sustain. I actually really dig in when I am playing, so I dont really run into slapping sound issues.
    It is really weird. I never realized I did this until I was reading about using a floating thumb instead of an anchored thumb. I always assumed my thumb was anchored at the top of the bass.