Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strange setup

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by mwlaurenson, Apr 22, 2001.

1. mwlaurenson

mwlaurenson Guest

Feb 5, 2001
    scotland
    I lent out some equipment for another band's gig the other night so I went with them to help set up. The support bands bass player had a leem amp. When setting up he came out with some sort of rack mountable audio mixer. We asked what it was for and he said it was so he didnt overdrive the amp and reassured us it would sound better. We watched dubiously as he proceeded to connect the mixer via a huge mixture of phono leads and adapters into both the high and the low inputs. When switched on it hissed VERY loudly so the headlining band made him get rid of it. The bass player said "well it does sound better in some places" Why did he do this?!!!!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    uuuhhhhhh ... because he's a nitwit?

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Best stick with the KISS method ... keep it simple, stupid, and play a Gene Simmons Punisher bass.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Reminds me of when my first band recorded a demo onto a four track. We had this wacko friend of the drummer trying to get us to run the left channel through a Roland guit. amp to add reverb. It was noisy, weird and a waste of time.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Frikkin' knob twiddlers....when I was playing in a band in Athens, GA, the sound guy at the GA Theatre had a nasty habit of twiddlin his knobs while we were playing. Now, I ask you--what kind of buffoon adds a slap delay to the MONITOR mix of the band onstage? Like we didn't have enough of an echo problem to begin with......I always fear someone who says, "It always sounds better when you do it THIS way," and proceeds to tell you something that has never been tried before in the history of recorded music.

If you aren't Phil Spector, keep it simple, stupid....

6. Sounds like an idea the drummer gave him.

7. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Excellent response. Never look for a complicated answer where a simple one will do.