strange setups

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 31, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Usually when I do a setup, I'm initially guided by my eyes. I try to do a "first approximation" based on a nice consistent distance between the strings and the board. If the board is curved, I try to follow the contour of the board. Basses vary according to the preferred setup, for instance some basses like the strings to be more or less flat, even if the board is curved. Those are "small differences" IMO. But every once in a while, I run into a bass where the setup is just BIZARRE. Like, the saddle height is all over the place when you're trying to dial in a consistent sound in terms of the string balance and the amount of string noise you're hearing on each string. What's the strangest setup you've ever done, and what about it is unusual?
  2. FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    My setup atm is pretty weird :D But it's just because I tried to lower the action a while back and I noticed that I'll have to buy a new nut if I want to get a nice, low action, so I haven't bothered to change the setup back -> strings buzz etc :) On Wednesday I'm going to buy a new nut, a new bridge and new strings ;) Let's see how it works :)
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ive seen a lovley Proline Corvette with a chunk of the wood dug out about the front pickup so the player could get right in there with hes thumb. i reckon hes strings were a good 10mm off the fretboard. That was heartbreaking.
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    A while back I broke my low B on my five string and ended up having to restring it with an E that I dropped to D for the next couple of days where I had to play.

I had the saddle much higher on that string than on the rest of the bass but it worked out really nicely. I actually kept it like that longer than I planned since it made it easier to play some songs with a low D and the standard EADG.

5. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Not sure if this qualifies - but it's strange.

I routed my basses to accept "any" pickup configuration. No sooner done than an MM Sterling triple coil and SD Ric bridge replacement pup arrive on my doorstep. The Sterling has that "ingenious" 3rd coil slapped on the bottom of the pup to add about 3/8" to normal pup height - plus the staggered pole heights (routing not deep enough). And the Ric has that elongated bassplate attatched to the bridge pup (routing not wide enough).

Unless these are killer pups (which is astronomically unlikely), I ain't routing no more cause there may be an endless stream of these freaks showing up. A recent acquistion of a Schaller roller bridge happened to come with an optional baseplate that raises the bridge about an extra 1/8". Eyeballing it looks like I may be able to get both pups in near the bridge (with the baseplate of the Ric pup actually resting on the face of the bass, by using that bridge and jacking the strings as high as they'll go. Not ideal playing conditions but I just need enough play to check them out.

The dude with that foxhole Corvette had nothing on my string height. If you think it looks heartbreaking, you should try it.