Strange sighting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alex, Feb 2, 2006.

1. My friend was just given a Fender 1x18 cab from one of his bass playing buddies. He was really excited about it, so I came over to see it. I was expecting a 2-3 ft tall cab, but when I walked in, the cab was over 5 ft tall! I asked him what the deal was, and he said that the speaker was faced backwards, and that it was channeled through 2 ducts that guided the sound forward, or something. He didn't really know what it was either, so I thought that I'd ask my good buddies here at TB to tell me what it is! :D ;)

Has anyone seen a cab that had some inner system like this, or do you know what my friend is talking about? Do tell.

Just curious.
  2. jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sounds like a folded horn. Someone will have specifics.
  3. It's almost certainly from a Fender PS400, a curious 435W tube amp from the early 1970s, which used THREE of them to achieve full output.

The cab is a folded horn, as your friend suggests, with the 18" woofer facing backwards. The design is very efficient, and was used in theatres when tube amps were of low power.

FWIW, Acoustic 360s and 370s from the same period used a similar design, the 301 cab, and it's a fair bet that Fender copied the idea when deigning the PS400.
  4. I need more buddies like that!
  5. It was actually a lender, but still....
  6. I remember those... didn't the head come with an aluminum stand to set next to that huge cab? They never really caught on... I remember seeing a lot of ads for them, but never, ever saw one live. Everyone was using the Acoustics (or SVT's) back then.
  7. He didn't have a matching head, but he did have another (I thought) esoteric piece lended to him with the 118. It is a really old tube (I think) Ampeg B3. Says 150w on the back. Anyone know about this one? The control panel was tilted upward, and it had rubber feet on the right side, but not on the bottom. :eyebrow: