1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strange situation: 2 bassists

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by josiah goldfish, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Ok, I've been invited to play in a school band consists of this:
    5 singers (they harmonise together really nicely actually, and they're all girls, heck yeah!) :D
    A pianist
    A bassist

And then there's me, another bassist. The first song we're playing is black velvet in E minor. I also play slide guitar on my cigar box guitar, so I could get the fills on that, but if I were to play bass, what would I play? The bassist would be playing the main riff, so I'm stumped as to what to play.

2. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Harmonise the main part, play it all a fifth up, it'll sound super odd :)

3. Haha I might have to try that :D

4. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Go tenor or piccolo tuning and harmonize and/or play melodies. You could do that with standard tuning as well but the higher tunings will facilitate that kind of playing better. Get creative, really think outside the box. Two bass situations can be super cool if done well.

5. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    You could also play the same notes as him for the main points/notes of their parts to add extra emphasis along side harmonising.

6. BastianWolff

BastianWolff

Sep 18, 2011
    Try playing an octave higher on some parts, and a fifth higher or lower on others. The overall sound will be awesomelly full.

7. Ok I'll try all the suggestions above, thanks guys :D

8. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    Roundabout had a second bass part in it.

9. I'll have a look at the links between the two parts :)

10. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Try do a search here on TB, there are a couple of threads with examples of songs and bands that utilize 2 or more basses.