Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Weasel_md, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Weasel_md

Weasel_md

Jan 2, 2001
    When ever i play my bass and i press down on the strings and pick the string it makes a strange sound almost like i am playing it on the fret or something like that. even though i am not, can some1 help?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hmm, I'm really not sure what you mean, but in any case....
    To get a clean-sounding note, place your fretting finger really close to the fret, eg. if you play a D on the A string, place it sightly left from the 5th fret, almost on top of it...

Please elaborate your problem if I misread your post.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Another thing to consider is: Don't rest your left hand fingers on the lower strings while you play the same note repeatedly. Let's say that you're playing a long stream of eighth notes on the A string, fretting a D (5th fret) with your first finger. Sometimes, we extend the other fingers on top of the fingerboard, slightly resting them on the strings. If you allow your fingers to reach the E string (for this example) in this way, you will add a metallic "click" to your notes. This is because when you play, you normally let your picking (right hand) fingers lay onto the adjacent string. Being this one so close to the frets (courtesy of your left hand), it will sound like this. I don't know if that's your problem, but hope this helps. (And hope you understand me) :)

4. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    A few questions about the noise, Weasel_md:
    • Can you hear this sound through your amp, too?
    • Is there any particular area of the bass from which it's emanating?
    • Could it be fretbuzz? (Try a search on it.) If it is, your playing technique and/or fret & neck condition might need to be checked out and by a tech in a setup.
    • What type/brand/gauge of strings are you using?
    Hope you get your prob solved! :)

(BTW, if you fill out your profile and list your equipment, it would give everyone a better idea of your situation.)

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i think i know what your talking about here...but with my luck im wrong.....my A string used to make a muffled nasty metallic sound when i picked it..sort of like if you had your finger right on the fret. what i did to get rid of that sound was adjusted the string height and it cured the problem

6. you might be describing harmonics. could you describe the sound a little more? is it buzzy, rattly, clean&high, or what?

7. Huna Funk

Huna Funk

Dec 5, 2000
    I figured I'd post this here rather than start another thread, my problem may be similar to Weasel_md. I'm playing a Peavey Milestone III with medium gauge strings, whatever ones it came with.
    I've noticed that when I slap any of the strings I get a plastic like clickity clack sound, even when I slap very lightly the sound is generated. At first I figured maybe my action was to low and the strings were just barely taping up against some of the frets. However I've examined it closely and the strings are not hitting any of the frets. It's hard to explain, the clicky sound even stands out in recordings when I slap, no matter how much I hold back. Could it just be terribly cheapo strings?

Any ideas?

8. That "clickity-clack" is the sound you would get if the strings came into contact with the pickups. Is it possible you're slapping the strings into the pups?