Strange sound...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jaswine85, Mar 4, 2003.

1. I have an Ampeg B5R and an SWR Henry 8x8. ive had this setup for a few months and have begun having a problem. Whenever i play through the amp and cab, it sounds very strange. It sounds kindof synthy...kindof sounds really bad, especially on higher pitched notes. I dont know wether its the amp or the cab, because i have no other cab to plug the amp into. My bass is fine and sounds better through a cheap combo than it does through my rig! Help!

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Personally, I like going the whole nine years when it comes to diagnostics. Since you don't have another cab to try out, take the head to your local Mullet Center (or other chain music store you feel like taking advantage of ;) ) and ask to demo some of their cabs using your own head. Tell them this will give you the best idea of how a cab will sound with yours.

Sounds extreme, I know, but unless you have a friend close by with a cab, this is a good bet.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I was leaning toward the bass until you said it sounds fine through a combo. I doubt it's the speaker cab. Speakers just do what the amps tells it to do.

yeah I'm leaning towards the head. Borrow, Hire,do whatever it takes but try the head on another speaker cab.

Let us know how you go.
  4. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Jason.....sounds to me like you have an accordion player trapped inside your speaker cabinet! :D

Easy checks.........cables? Have you blown one or more of the speakers in your cab?

You may be able to plug your ampeg head into the speaker of your "cheap combo" and check it (at low levels) that way. Does it have a jack on it or is it hardwired into the combo?