Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strange tension question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Jan 6, 2003.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Say you've got a string on an arbitrary scale length, say 34 inches. What happens to the string tension if you raise the pitch an octave higher? Is the tension double? I do'nt mean raising the pitch by fretting the 12 fret, but by retuning the string an octave higher.

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Most strings break if you try to tune them an octave higher. It is possible that you could damage your neck if the tension is too great.
    There are string sets available for Piccolo Bass tuning (an octave higher).
    Here is an example:
    Normal bass string set = .105, .80, .65, .45 (EADG) where E is 41Hz
    Piccolo bass string set = .45, .35, .25, .18 (EADG) where E is 82Hz

On one Bass I try to go the other direction with thicker strings to produce lower pitches:
    Deep Low Bass = .145, .110, .85, .65 (ADGC) where A is 27Hz

3. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    i wasn't planning on going an octave up. its a hypothetical situation. I was wondering about the physics pertaining to it. same scale, same string guage, put it one octave up, is it twice the tension?

4. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
  5. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    thanks redneck2wild

6. JeffL

JeffL

Nov 12, 2002
    I am sorry tht I missed this question the other day. Actually the octave increase will not double the tension. Instead it is 4 times the standard tension. Hope that this helps!

Jeff L