1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strange Things by Tackhead w/Doug Wimbish.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Strange Things - YouTube

I found that Strange Things is on iTunes now. Doug Wimbish is everywhere on this album, from playing guitar style solos to pretty much conducting a master class on playing below low E.

Bob_Ross, Jamie_Funk and ritz like this.
  2. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Wimbish has been a favorite of mine since "Stain" by Living Colour. After hearing that album I actively sought out as much as I could with him on it. Another overlooked gem is Herb Alperts "Colors" album with Wimbish and Will Calhoun as Rhythm Section. I used to work out every day to "Trippy Notes for Bass".

C/S,
    Rev J

Bob_Ross, jerry and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. Wow - haven't heard this in many years - time to dig this album out of the pile and listen to it right now :)

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I love the Tackhead stuff.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I first became aware of Wimbish in the 80’s through this work with Adrian Sherwood and the On-U-Sound on projects out of the U.K. always cool stuff.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  6. OnTheOneBaby

OnTheOneBaby

Sep 4, 2013
    The first time I heard of him was on 'I Need Money Bad' by John Whitehed (1988). Very stylish playing with a great sound. Sadly I haven't heard him playing at that level on any other recordings. There must be some.

It is also sad that on that record the production team was tight on money and didn't have afford to a flesh'n'blood drummer or decent horns.

7. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    I found a copy of Tackhead Tape Time in like 1990 in a used bin, and it's always been one of my favourites.

Later that year, I found "Friendly as Hand Grenade." I still don't think I've listened to it all the way through.

To each their own.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Still all of the old Sugar Hill stuff is great too. Pre Tackhead Tackhead.

C/S,
    Rev J

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  9. Wood Brass & Steel (1976; Douglas Wimbish bass)