Strange Things

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cruby, Sep 29, 2010.

1. cruby

cruby

Jun 12, 2006
    Pittsburgh Pa.
    I have bass for sale in another forum on Talkbass. This guy who says he lives in Canada wants to buy my Roscoe Beck for my asking price, however he wants me to take the neck off and ship the bass without the HSC to Florida. He is paying thru paypal. This sounds fishy too me. What do you think?

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

It could be that he has a friend or relative in Florida that will transport it for him to Canada. It's probably cheaper to drag it across the border in your baggage than to ship it.

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I had a guy ask me to do that, because he lived in Europe and wanted to avoid a $300 shipping charge. Your guy probably also wants to avoid a hefty import fee.

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Get a tracking number and insurance. Take clear pictures during the packing process when FedEx packs it. (This should really be standard protocol whenever shipping an instrument). Make sure the buyer knows that once it arrives in Florida, it's completely out of your control and your hands.

It's not unheard of to do this - I've been a third party and shipped some pickups to Australia for another person before to avoid import duties.

If it worries you, though, then decline the offer.

5. cruby

cruby

Jun 12, 2006
    Pittsburgh Pa.
    Thanks!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021