Strange Time Signatures?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bushfire, Oct 13, 2005.

1. What's the strangest time signature you've ever worked in? For me nothing too strange, just a 8/2 song I composed.

How about you guys?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was given a written bass line to play that was two measures of 15/4 , followed by 3 measures of 10/4 !! :eek:
  3. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Sting's "Seven Days" from the Ten Sumners Tales album is 7/8
    and allot of fun to play. :D
  4. 3&2/8

Lots of fun to play.
  5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Geez, I'll have to dig out some of my old tuba books for this this evening...
  6. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    TUBA?!?! And to think I was starting to think you were cool...

I like to play along to Seven Eleven by Chris Potter. The title says it all, 1 bar of 7 and one bar of 11...
  7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    For Bass, it's all 4/4, 3/4 and 6/8.. blaaah and boring...

For trumpet, I've done odd stuff.. 5/4, 7/4, 6/8-3/8 with alternating 2 and 3 feel (121212 123) some 16/4 and 12/4 (sloooooooow 12/4... that takes forever to count...) had a couple of pieces that switched between 3/2 and 2/2 alternately.. but sometimes it wouldn't..
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I wrote a piece recently that is in 17/16 against 18/16, but it's felt more like 8.5/8 against 9/8.

I've also done some 6 against 4 stuff with 5 against 2 superimposed on it. But, that's a little more conventional. And I did something in 15/8, and lately I've been doing work in 7/8.

Lastly, I did a piece that can't really be quantified to a specific meter because the whole beat falls out of rhythm and meter(an experiment in glitch music)

Easily the weirdest time signature I've ever heard of was a piece written in pi against e
  9. Pi as in 3.141?
  10. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    I believe i'm the winner so far :)

when i was in college I wrote a piece that had a few bars of 4+2/3 /4

4 + (2/3)

that's FOUR AND TWO THIRDS FOUR :) or, a bar of 4/4 with two thirds of a quarter note added on...

the way it worked was, some of the 4/4 bars had quarter note triplets in their second half, and I just tacked an extra note at the same pace of the triplet... it was a pain to write but didn't sound all that wacky, just a delayed 'one'
  11. my band has a song where a section goes

5/4, 5/4, 5/4, 6/4, 12/8, 15/8, 7/8, 15/8, 11/8, 15/8, 7/8, 15/8, 11/8
  12. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Anything by Tool and Dream Theater.

Prog for the win.
  13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yea and e as in 2.71828...etc.
  14. Not for bass, but I was watching an Indian tabla thing.

He said he used times like 14.5/8 and 12.25/4

I couldn't grasp the concept.

He told us that his wife had said "Stop confusing these people and just use normal time signatures!" :p
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, you can break that down to be 29/16 and 49/16

Which doesn't necessarily help any ;)

additionally you can think of it as 14/8 with an extra 16th tacked on, or 12/4 with an extra 16th tacked on.

But the thing with time signatures like that. You don't even really need to look at them as time signatures per se. So, if you thought of it as 29/16, then you have 29 pulses that are all going to be divisible off a 16th note. That can be broken down in a million different ways
    or even something whacky like

It gets abstract to the level where you can break it down in just about any manner you want and get some neat rhythmic feels as a byproduct.

And, I think that you are referring to 'tablas' not indian bongo things. Tabla rhythms are some of the most complicated on the planet. Indian rhythm in general is just... eons ahead of western music rhythmically. Interestingly enough though, their sense of harmony is practically non-existent relative to western tonal music. But yea, they do some really wild rhythmic stuff, some of it is awesome, but a lot of it is just too whacky for my western sensibilities :p

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I play a song live in 5/4 thats pretty catchy. :bassist: