1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strange tube photographic efffect

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, May 6, 2005.

1. I was bored, and decided to take a few pics of the heated valves/tubes in the back of the amp :)

When i took the picture, at a few points on each tube you can see a pink/purple glow, to the eye it is just orange, so, i dunno, just thought it was pretty cool, and worth sharing :eyebrow:

Attached Files:

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Pretty cool!

Which brand of tube are they?

3. Philips it says, but im not sure if they have just been rebranded or what, they are USA-made 6550's, ive not taken them out, and the only marking i can see is "Philips ECG" other than that

4. You have Sylvania 6550A's, VERY good tubes. The purplish glow is the screen grids and is normal.

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I think if you look closely at the third one you can see the image of the Virgin Mary. Or maybe it's only Sister Teresa, hard to tell for sure. You might want to check that tube with the amp off to see if the image is burned permanently on the inside of the tube. If so, you can sell it on Ebay for ten grand. ;)

6. They are ?

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :D

What i was saying is to the eye the purpleish glow was orange, it only came up purple in the picture! :)

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    sweet pic! I'll have to take some of my bassman tonight :D

8. remember and take the flash off, you gotta get them in the right light so the backgrounds ambience is more orangy, adds to the picture really well, it may be geeky but this is the first time ive changed my background pic in years, im just intreagued by tubes/valves :)

9. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Hey, very cool! Do you have a bigger version to share? It'd make a cool desktop picture. :)

I was originally going to collect cool pictures like this for my Desktop Bass page, but I just never had the time to do any more after I put the page up. I still like the idea of bass-related desktop/screensaver pics though!

10. Read my last post :p

I have a desktop sized version ive been using :)

Just give me the sizes you want and i'll resize the original version in photoshop (3Mp camera, so its pretty big, not the best of quality, but, hey, you get what you pay for :p ), and if you PM me an email address i'll just zip them all and send it

11. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    :) Doh! But yeah, I was just wondering if you had a raw image that was bigger, since blowing up the smaller one will of course not be as sharp. But that's cool, I'll Photoshop it up! Thanks, man. :)

12. I have it in the original size: 2288 x 1712 pixels, i woulda resized it myself, but if you want to do it, ill send you the pic

13. can you send me the full size pic as well? thats definatly sick

14. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    How about blowing up the third one so we can get a better look at the image. :eyebrow: