Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange tuning problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Eywin, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Eywin

Eywin

Sep 5, 2005
    Hi,

In my band we use drop-C tuning CGCF, and we're having a strange problem with the low C. We always have to tune the low C by our ears, since the tuner isn't accurate. This is only on the lowest string. The tuner shows the C to be a 1/4 too high. We have tried different tuners, everything from expensive rack tuners to cheap ones. I have tried different string gauges and basses, and it always ends up the same way. The guitarists in the band also have the same problem.

So I'm wondering if this is a setup problem, or what can we do? I have played in Drop D an Drop A without any problems before.

Any feedback would be great, thanks!

2. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    Are you playing open string when trying to tune? I've noticed that some tuners tend to go haywire on bass notes and can usually get it to tune right if I tune using the 12 fret or 5 fret harmonic.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Well, a low C, is pretty damn low. Which makes me wonder how on earth Jacqo tunes...

I'd harmonic the 5th fret. Boosts it up an octave ;)

4. Eywin

Eywin

Sep 5, 2005
    Yes we are using open strings when we tune. I'll try out tuning to the 5th and 12th fret as you're saying. I've used even lower tunings before and never had this problem. It's only with Drop C tuning. :eyebrow: