Strange volume pot behavior

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kerem Koseoglu, Jan 2, 2020.

1. This happens on my beloved Moollon bass, which I bought from a friend. The bass plays very well without any noise issues. However; only sometimes (1 out of 10), when I turn the volume down, I start hearing a strange single-coil hum type of sound and the volume pot stops working. This means; the volume stays up even if I turn the pot down. If I give either pot a tap (volume or tone, doesn't matter); things get back to normal.

Did any of you experience such a strange behavior? What might be the problem / solution? Or should I just leave it alone? I never turn the volume of passive basses anyway :D

2. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Sounds like that pot is malfunctioning. If there's no apparent faulty wire connection then it is the pot itself and it requires replacement.

3. I did replace it (both actually, just to be sure) and everything is fine now.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021