Strange Wal...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Is it just me, or does it look like the strings an this Wal 6 are backwards?

2. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    That's what I said when I saw the Yellowjackets. Jimmy Haslip plays his 6-string like that. Maybe it's his. :)
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    you are not wrong and i am not drunk. the strings are backwards!
  4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    maybe a rigt hander plays it?

5. The strap is in the wrong place for a righty.
  6. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    That belongs to Steve Chesney, a lefty who plays with the strings like that. He also has more Wals than anyone else and he runs the official Wal website (go there and see his entire collection, as well as a lot of other good stuff).
  7. Why would a right handed player play a lefty bass? Even if he did,n the strap is the "wrong" horn.
  8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    why do left handers play right handed basses.
    cheaper? had a good deal?
    if i found a really good deal on a bass i wanted i would buy it if it was left handed. and you could play with the strap up there on that horn. oyu just couldn't play the upper notes

9. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    It's a lefty bass, it's just strung right handed.

I think that lefty's who play like that must have started out by borrowing one from a right-handed person and got used to it that way.
  10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i saw a guy at a party one time playing a right handed guitar upside down. and he knew chords and songs but just upside down.

11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    keith horne plays his that way too
  12. Mr. Chesney does indeed play lefty-strung-righty. You'll find this as a (expensive) factory option on some basses. Rickenbacker, for example, has it on their price list:

Scroll down to the bottom of the Acrobat file, and under "Special Order Options", you'll find "Left-Hand, available all models", which costs $125, and then, below it, "Right-hand stringing of left-hand instrument", for an ADDITIONAL $50! $175 on top of the $1529 MRSP for a 4003! Painful! It's a good thing nobody sells them for that much, otherwise I'd never buy one!

In fact, it's probably cheaper with more custom instruments like Wal basses, since it's already an entirely hands-on process, whereas with Rickenbacker (or worse, Fender; I'm not sure if this is an option with them, my guess is you'd have to take your new lefty-Jazz to a luthier to have the nut reversed...), they have to go out of their way to do it.

Most (if not all?) of Steve Chesney's basses have "Steve Chesney Custom" written on the headstock by Pete Stevens, maker of Wal basses. I wonder if that makes a good theft deterrent!

13. pretty bass though...
  14. Lots of people play like that. Especially guitarists:

- Albert King
    - Otis Rush
    - Eric Gales

I have read about bending and some chord shapes being easier on this setup.
  15. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Doyle Bramhall II is a guitarist who recently went on tour with Roger Waters and he plays like that.
    If you get a chance, check out the DVD called "in the Flesh" (I got it at Amazon for $15).

I used to be in a band with a lefty guitarist who played with it strung that way.
  16. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I think it's kind of funny / tragic, since "right handed" guitars are really left-handed instruments anyway. :) Or, at least, pretty neutral.

I'd recommend a beginning lefty to learn right-handed, given greater availability of instruments.

How many lefty-but-play-righty pros are out there, I wonder? I know Robert Fripp falls into this category.

BTW I can't believe nobody mentioned Hendrix. :) Mostly he played with the "right side up" stringing, but I've heard he was perfectly capable of just turning a righty upside down and using it as is, as well.
  17. Steve Morse and Mark Knopfler are lefties who play right-handed. I'd say they've done pretty well for themselves :p