Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JWC, Jun 4, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    This is gonna sound quite odd. On songs like Roundabout and quite a few Rush songs, etc. I can play them note for note with no trouble whatsover.

But...sometimes on an easy blues riff like Roadhouse Blues or just a simple walk up or walk down, I'll fumble it up like no other. Why is this??

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A lot of (rock) riffs are quite easy to play but SOUND like they're hard. They're mostly based on or inspired by quite regular fretboard patterns and only require relatively easy string changes...

Other bass lines, like the blues bass lines you mention are derived from the song's chord changes in the first place and the fretboard pattern that is required to play them can be quite awkward (due to string skipping e.g. from E to D string, or irregular fingering). Blues lines mostly are arpeggios and those can be very hard to play (that's why you should practice arpeggios more than scales).

Hope that helps. I'm still a little wasted, so I'm sorry if my answer is not too coherent.