Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strangest band (not talking GWAR strange, but like really strange people in a band)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jiles, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    The Morbid Strangers- Western Tennessee regional classic rock cover band;

The lead singer, Guy Protruber, is about 60 years old, with a full white, Santa beard, and he dresses like a hobo. Smells like one too. He tells that Bush is one of the most "cutting-edge" bands of all time.

The lead guitarist is a 21 year old guy from Rhode Island. Has the most annoying accent you've ever heard, along with a peach-fuzz mustache and a mullet. Claims to have connections all over the world. Just needs the right band.

The drummer played with one hand when I saw him. He works in the Wal-Mart warehouse and cut his hand to shreds with a box cutter. Couldn't hardly put 2 words together to form a sentence, but he rocks with fierceness not seen since Tommy Lee's heyday with Motely Crue.

The bassist is about 7 feet tall with a poofy, permed out mullet and peach fuzz mustache as well. Is that looking becoming in Tennesee? Dropped his pick during a Sabbath song and stopped playing so he could pick it up. Rode the root note like Debbie rode Dallas.

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    LMAO :D

That's the funniest thing I've read all day.

Anyways, it is kind of wierd seeing what kind of people are out being musicians. I just hate it when musicians look like freakin' bums though. I mean, I don't expect a Punk band to wear three piece suits, and I don't expect a Du-wop band to be dressed in jeans and t-shirts, but for God's sake, could some of these bands please be properly bathed a groomed, not looking like they just came from their jobs at the saw mill? You are performing a service to the public, looking expectable is part of the package IMHO.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    There was a band in Knoxville, Tn. called Fat Bastard about 10 years ago. The leader was this HUGE fat guy named Mark. Whenever you asked him how he was doing, he'd respond, "Argh, it's a glorious day to be the Fat Bastard."
    Here are some of the lyrics from their hit song:
    "Smoking, drinking, snortin' f*ckin, taking LSD hell yeeeeaaaahhhhh!"

He'd "sing" while drinking PITCHERS of beer.

HE RULED!!!!!

4. Ok, in the defense of GWAR, underneath all that latex and make-up, there are real people, and dammit, they are strange, too! :D

How about Def Leppard, with the one armed drummer? He wasn't strange as much as unique, though.

I think any band where it's members wore pink tiger stripe tights, cut off shirts, big hair, etc. are kinda strange. Hey, wait a sec, I think I just decribed nearly everyone in the 80's.

ZZ Top is kinda strange. Two guys with long ass beards, and the only clean shaven guy is named Frank Beard. Isn't that ironic? Don'tcha think?

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Damn, I wish I could see some of the bands you guys are talking about. I saw a band once, don't have a clue what their name was, that looked like a bunch of average Joe's wearing suits before they started playing. When they started they had this pelvic thrusting thing they were doing to really fast music that was insane, and looked quite natural to them. I can't really describe it but I've never seen anything like it before or since. It was great.

As for weird major label bands I never heard any interviews with the guys from Radiohead but I think somethins a little wiggly in the heads there.

6. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    yeah I've seen some 'nutter' bands in my time, but the most awe inspiring sight was a drummer in a local covers band who was in his 50s who during gigs would get drunker and drunker as the night went on culminating in him playing the beat with his feet (bass drum, hi hat), an accordion and a whistle at the same time...and ye know...it actually didnt sound bad at all :eek:

(mind you I was probably very..very drunk myself at the time)

7. :D I was in a band called "Quaker State". Right before our shows we'd change into quakers, not amish, but quakers and um play stupid blast beat punk rock. Long live the quakers
    :mad:

9. mecha hooch

mecha hooch Guest

Jan 15, 2002
    jacksonville,fl
    let me tell you a little story...of a band named tang lung from jax fl...the bass player i will not say his real name but...he went by the nickname of boogie "G"...he was a one legged fellow...with a fake leg...he told everyone when he was a kid he stuck his leg in a toliet bowl and an aligator bite it off...this guy was one hell of a bass player...he was also a skateboarder...and funny as ****...the drummer was this wacked out fellow...never had a sip of beer in his life and believe he didn't need it...he use to shock this little skinny guy everyone picked on with this taser gun funny ****...and guitar player harder left his house window...he would always stay by the window watching for god knows what...the most paranoid person i've ever known...and for these three character to actually play together i'll never know how in the hell it happen:confused:

10. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Not exactly strange people in the band, but a cool name.

There was a party band in college the same time as me called 6 Hard Brothers and a Dog. They had a habit of drinking a couple of 12 packs before every show, and then the lead singer would take the 12 pack boxes and fashion some sort of hat out of them, that he would then duck tape to his bald skull and do the whole show like that. Little strange.

11. I think The Residents are very, very weird and disturbed,

A guy named Eddie Current is very weird to. He has song titles like...

Constipation
    Pasta, Pasta, Pasta
    Better donuts through science
    Rotten carcuss up the butt

12. I think just about any band with Mike Patton (mr bungle, faith no more, tomahawk etc) are totally off their heads.
    Patton used to dump his load in hair dryers so that when someone used it,there face would get covered in ****. ugghh

- Russ

13. I was browsing around the local music store and found a CD by Cradle of Filth. The cover had a woman in a bathtub full of blood and a few other satanic pictures. Out of pure curiosity I did a search for them on the web and found some concert pics where the guitarist was in a leather g string and the singer had blood all over him. If thats not strange then I dont know what is.