Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strangest cover gig to date....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'll try and make this short.

We're playing a new place. 2 hours away. I didn't want to do this gig because the guy said he's only paying $150, BUT we take in whatever they make at the door, and he GUARANTEED we'd walk out with at least 4. Randy (my guitarist) was convinced. Not me. Scheduled to go on at 10:30. We hit heavy traffic, call... no problem. 10:15 we call again to say we're 5 minutes away, we'll be set up and ready to go by 10:40 - the owner says, "No. You're not playing!. :eek: All the people who were here to see a band went home." :eek: :eek: :eek:

We're not going home! We go into the bar. The guy is drunk and beligerent. "I said NO! What part of that don't you understand! I'm not changing my mind. Get the *&%$ our of my bar!" I'm fuming, Randy's fighting. 2 of the most beautiful women I've ever seen in my entire life are tending bar and they feel horrible seeing what's going on. They start talking to Randy. Randy comes outide to tell me we can play for whatever money they take in at the door. I freak out on him saying he's being blinded by the beauty of these girls. Nobody else is coming to this place - it's pretty much a dive in the middle of nowhere. He tells me THEY (the girls) SAID THEY'LL PAY US - OUT OF THEIR POCKETS! We drove 2 hours - what the hell. Miss goddess comes out before we even play, gives us $100, says she'll give us the other $50 in a little while. Drunken owner goes home - we play one really long set, have a blast with the people there, sold a whole bunch of CDs, the girls passed around a hat - and we walked out with $125 each! It was one of the bestest funnest shows we played in a while, and the small handful of people were the most appreciative crowd we've had in months.

Fer anyone following my drummer tales, this was a great way to break in the new guy. If Santo was still our drummer he'd have been miserable and pissed as hell, and the whole place would have picked up on it.

Christ, those girls were beautiful.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've got a hunch the goddesses paid you out of the till. Owner-boy'll never know.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Lucky bastard you are!

I really need to gig more...

4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    so who gave the gals the special favors ?

enquiring minds want to know

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Good call. That didn't even occur to me, but... uh duh!