1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strangest or most mismatched band youve ever seen

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by powderfinger, May 19, 2011.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Now, when I say this, I don't mean bands that are intentionally strange like GWAR or Slipknot. I mean, bands that arent trying to be different or strange.... but are.

My example.. you will get the idea.

A band we played a show with back in 1998. They were called The Morbids. Yes, The Morbids. They were from Arkansas or maybe western Tennessee, not sure. The gig was near the Arkansas state line, I do know that much.

The band was fronted by a guy, his name was Guy as a matter of fact. Guy was about 65 years old. He sort of had on one of those suits Duck Dunn wore back in the 60s and early 70s. He also wore a fedora. The bass player, I kid you not was nicknamed "Rat". Rat might have been 20 years old if that. He was of Indian extraction (not Native American..the nation of India). He weighed about 105 pounds soaking wet. He had long, jet black hair and a horrible peach fuzz mustache. He looked like a woman, otherwise, and dressed like he was Sid Vicious. The gutiarist, I forget his name, was about 6'3''. He had a peach fuzz mustache too, and the hugest permed mullet you ever saw. He wore a tank top and jorts.

The drummer had to have been suffering from some sort of mental afflition. He had a huge mullet as well. He also had on a tank top and jorts (at least he matched the guitarist). He had one of his hands bandaged up really tight. I asked him what happened, he told me, "I almost cut my hand off with a box cutter at work today". I asked how he was going to play with a bandaged hand, he asked me "you aint never heard of Def Leppard, son". He played the set with 1 arm, and he sucked. He was also missing lots of teeth. And drunk.

When they cranked up, they opened up with "Come Back Down From This Cloud" by Bush. And it was sang by the damn Duck Dunn guy with the Fedora. He wasnt a horrible singer. He actually sounded like Elvis a bit. They also did Paranoid by Sabbath and For the Love of Money by The O Jays. They also covered, Highway Star by Deep Purple... and get this, To All The Girls Ive Loved Before. He duetted this one with "Rat".

After the show I went to tell them how much I enjoyed playing with them, but the Rat and Guy were busy making out while a guy in a Dracula mask was taking photos.

I cant make this stuff up...

The Owl, Amano, theinfamous and 6 others like this.
  2. Yeah. That's pretty dang weird.

3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I saw a guy fronting a band ... about 65.. freakin looked like a catfish (seriously).. reading lryics from a wire frame music stand... off to his side was a guy with a tatted face... behind was this pristine super model hot lady playing drums... They sounded like ass.. made the drummer chick look even more exponentially hot.

4. One of our first gig's awhile back it was one of those 4 bands in 4 hour deals (never again) but anyway the first band was trying pull off the hair band look with the skin tight pleather pants and torn shirt which is kind of hard to do when your 50 yrs old and balding (lead singer/rythym guitar), then there was the lead guitarist that was trying to jump around and shred on his flying V guitar,I dont remember the what the drummer looked like but the best or worst part hands down was the very LARGE women that was with them on stage wearing a skin tight lepard skin spandex out fit with a big leather studded belt and of course huge 80s hair.
    They sounded as bad as they looked,I kind of felt bad because they were really having a good time but most everyone in the bar was pointing and laughing.

bound'n'blocked likes this.
  5. We played with a band once when I was in a Modern rock styled band about two years ago. They had an acoustic guitarist, a xylophonist (playing one of those practice bell sets that they give student percussionists), a multi percussionist (hand drums etc), and a Theremin player. I couldn't discern any verse, chorus or structure to any of the music. Hipsters, bleh.

6. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Were they, by chance, called the Lothars, an experimental improvisational group?

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I saw a three piece band once that isn't exactly mismatched, but they were definitely freaky. They had a doghouse bass, drums, and a singer / sax player. They were as metal as metal can be \m/ \m/ and they were AWESOME! I have no idea how the hell they made that band work with the music they were playing, but it kicked serious ass!!

Mr_Moo likes this.
  8. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Anyone ever see that video on youtube of Maynard from Tool in one of his early bands? He has a mohawk and looks like spandex pants, the black guy bass player is slapping and looks like he stepped out of a funk band, and the rest are all over the place. Definitely an odd collection.

9. YES! Awesome video!

My strange story happened while I was in college. I was practicing in the School of Music, when a guy came through the hallway looking for a cello player. I told him I play bass and that I would sound twice as good as any cello player! (I had yet to play a wedding gig and wanted the experience) Turns out, this guy was a trombone player who had wrote some original music for his own wedding! It was in more of a rock style as opposed to something classical. I show up to the only rehearsal we have and there is mix of brass and woodwind players. The songs were pretty weak , but I thought it was neat he wrote the music for his own wedding. Fast forward to the wedding day. We are in a park playing down by the lake. All of the musicians show up in suits and ties ready to play the gig. The whole wedding party is wearing sheets and are barefoot. Turns out this is a pagan wedding, where they do all sorts of rituals. The musicians don't really care (myself included) and we end up playing the music when we are cued. We get to the final tune where I have an ostinato bass line consisting of mostly repetitive eighth notes. Towards the end of the song, I have a few measures of rests. The band figures that since I stopped, the song must be over. Everyone stopped playing and just looked at eachother. We got paid and went home.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  10. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    was going to tell my story, but read down the thread to MysterMunky....I thought I was the only person to ever gig a Pagan ritual. The Pagans were very nice people. We played Cole Porter and Monk tunes, and then AD/DC and Zep...

11. No, I can't recall the name, but it wasn't the Lothar's... I would have remembered my repeated hill people jokes if that had been the case.

Max Bogosity likes this.
  12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    There is a funky, old bar up in La Honda called Apple Jack's. We, a country band, got double booked with an art-band out of Berkeley called Cello Joe. We decided to split the bill since we were both getting paid (got to love contrite bar owners). Cello Joe was a double bass, cello, and drums (both kit and a suitcase filled with percussion). They mostly played a quasi-classical hip-hop mix that I found very intriguing. The strangest part were the non-musical elements. One of the "band members" painted a live girl in a body suit along to the music.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  13. You guys know about Dread Zeppelin, right? THey play reggae versions of Led Zep tunes, and the singer looks, sounds, and dresses like Elvis. The weird thing is, it works. They sound good.

biguglyman likes this.
  14. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

Jun 11, 2010
    "....but the Rat and Guy were busy making out while a guy in a Dracula mask was taking photos."

These words will be the first line of my autobiography.

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  15. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    in my current band we have...

death metal guitarist
    classical singer
    punk rock bassist
    hard rock drummer

16. audiophile21

audiophile21

Jan 19, 2010
    Boston
    Let me describe to you this band:

the guitarist
    big fat red head with a greasy mop of red hair on his head, picture nasty red brocoli. He was wearing a black sweatshirt that has holes all over it and a patriots jersey underneath that stickes out the bottom and looks like a skirt, blue jeans, and big brown construction boots (not timberlands, just ratty walmart boots) that are untied and a black squier strat.

the singer
    chubby brown kid with skinny jeans and white gauges a striped beany girls glasses and a chelsea grin sweatshirt.

the bassist
    fat kid with grey hair at 17. green and black flannel

the other guitarist
    biggest butt ever, searously its huge. basketball shorts, run dmc tshirt, fitted hat, big fake gold chain, diamond earings, coke bottle glasses, worst stage presence of all time

drummer
    normal, only one that looks like hes in a metal band

oh wait, thats my band..

Mr_Moo likes this.
  17. Your marketing technique is working, I suddenly want to see this band.

Mr_Moo and Oddly like this.
  18. LOL this thread is made from gold

I know this doesn't relate much to mismatched band. We played a show before with 3 members in the band. Keyboard guitar and drums and no singer. After 1 song the keyboardist started singing into a mic (I guess he was their singer at the back of the stage) and then he pulled a poem out mid set. He read it and most people thought it was a thankyou note because it made no sense. Everyone in the audience just looked around and they basically walked off stage.

Weird show mainly.

19. Metal Bassist

Metal Bassist

Nov 6, 2010
    Wales, UK
    I can imagine that working very well. I look forward to hearing it.

20. l.
    Silent Doom | Facebook
    Silent Doom | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

This band opened up for my band. We play a mix of Rock/Hardcore(Refused, At the drive in, Thrice) so...yeah, I have no idea why they paired us. I've never laughed so hard at a serious performance in my life. They weren't even out of high school and they are playing Motley Crue...They were playing "rock star" dress-up...weirdest thing I've ever seen.