1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strangest thing you've been offered as gig payment?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Jun 24, 2019.

1. 1) Jewelry

2) Gym membership

2. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Bag of potatoes. Dumped on the stage. I took them home.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    This might be OT but for some reason I just thought of the time I saw a sign in a bar window that said: Bass player who can shuck clams wanted for house band.

No idea what the pay was :).

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Stock options.

There was a time during the Dot-Com Boom when many start-up companies were handing out options in lieu of cash. This ruse may have worked out well for some people, but as Billy Preston once sang: "Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin', you gotta have somethin' if you wanna be with me." From my standpoint, if a company isn't generating enough cash flow to pay its bills – especially for extravagancies like hiring a band for a party – it's destined to crash and burn. And that's precisely what happened about 18 months after we were offered the options.

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Immortality.

6. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    Did you take the gig?

7. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

it was a different time and place/space but the "offer" was in addition to the regular/agreed pay. genitals were involved. :laugh:

actually, that happened more than once, but a disclosure: we were young, good looking, presented well, and we wore tuxedos. wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't happen these days...right?!

9. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    The good news and the bad news: I'm offering you a gig!

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh:

Son of Wobble likes this.
  11. exposure... but just think of all the exposure.. well snap thats great my rent cost exactly 800 exposures this month

12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Yes, but we settled for $50 a man and a free for all at the buffet table. I didn't like the conditions associated with immortality.

13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    We had played the number of sets we agreed on, and there were storm clouds looming in the distance (an outdoor gig). We decided to pack up because....lightning and musicians with electric instruments and amps don't mix well. The guy who was running the party wanted us to play longer, and said he understood why we wanted to pack up, but....

"I have drugs".

Being electrocuted is only bad as long as your sober,....I guess.

We declined.

14. +1 for "exposure"

15. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    As long as it's not indecent...

16. cxcxcx

cxcxcx

Mar 8, 2019
    A pistol on top of the bar. The bar owner was not offering the pistol as payment.....:)

17. Blad51

Blad51

May 19, 2017
    This bar we packed with fans shorted us at the door. So I did some self-help. I took a bunch of beer signs and walked out. That was the last time we played for the door.

I think my self-help gene may have inherited from my dad.

He was playing a mob run joint in the 70s. When the owner stiffed him for the whole fee, my dad took all of the stage lights and left. Fortunately for him, the joint mysteriously burned down a few days later.

18. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    One bar owner declined to pay us the agreed upon price but offered to "pay" us with additional non paying gigs.

19. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    A band I used to play with once got booked for a private house party out in the suburbs. When they got there (this was just before I joined the band) they realized the party was of the swinger variety. :p

20. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    An event T-shirt.

That was the pay. True, it was a worthy charity event but the gig was such a disaster I could never bring myself to wear the shirt. :p