Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strangest things stored in bass bins

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by kansas666, Oct 4, 2004.

1. kansas666

kansas666

Sep 20, 2004
    I read a sound engineering magazine and a few years ago they had a column asking people to write in describing the strangest things found in bass bins.

Well I wrote in explaining that about a week after playing a wedding we noticed that our bass bins were smelling rather strange. We checked inside and found about 50 pounds of decaying beef. Nobody in the band had any idea where it came from.

My letter was posted in the magazine and a few months later I received an e-mail from a gentleman in another band.

It turned out that we both read the same magazine and
    it just so happened that both of our bands were playing the same wedding and we had similar PA systems. Someone in the other band "aquired" some meat from the kitchen and decided to temporarily store it in their bass bins before leaving the show. Not realizing that we had similar bass bins, they put it in the wrong ones. He was glad to finally find out what had happened to the beef. They had all been paranoid for about a week after the gig thinking they had been caught and were about to be put in prison.

2. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    Wow! Talk about a kwinky-dink!

3. Wow is the only word for that one!

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What's a bass bin?

Pretty awesome story though :D.

5. Yes, what on earth is a bass bin???:confused:

6. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Uh, I think they just mean a cab.

7. Basically, a cab containing a rearward-facing (usually15") speaker, with baffles to direct the sound forwards, through two massive apertures. I used to use them in the (very) olden days. With cr@p speakers, they were supposed to give loads of bottom end, and forward projection of Bass frequencies. At the time, we thought they were the answer to all our problems!
    As kansas666 found out, they were great for hiding all sorts of contraband (after-hours booze) during and after Gigs

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I heard a story about a guy who sent a cab to SWR for service because it "squealed" when played loud.

In the repair shop they noticed it did indeed make a weird squeal but it seemed unrelated to the notes played. They pulled out the woofer and found a racoon inside the cab :eek:

The owner told them he had been storing the cab in his barn. The coon must have crawled through the rear port then was unable to get back out :rollno:

9. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Holy crap, I'd be squealing too.