Strangest trades you've been offered?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gwreid, Aug 31, 2005.

1. gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    I suppose I could have started this thread in the Bass or the Amp forum but here it is...

I have an Aguilar DB359 for sale on eBay and some guy sends me an email asking if I would trade it for an Ice Cream Machine. What a nut!!! I felt like replying "No, but if you've got a sausage maker we have a deal!" but I was polite and just said, "No thank you." Anyway, it got me wondering what other people have been offered for their bass gear. Can anybody top my proposed trade?
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Some kid offered me his Renegade Bass as a trade once I get my 7-string. he wanted the Conklin, a Geddy, and my fretless. And he was dead serious. he thought he had the greatest bass made.
  3. tbader

Jun 29, 2005
    I remember I was trying to sell a car one time and some guy came to look at it, then offered to trade me an old school projection-style big screen tv. Once I refused that offer, his next offer confused me more than anything: he offered me a refrigerator.

Sometimes I wish I had a vicious dog.
  4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I think someone offered me a MIM Fender Jazz for my Cirrus once.
  5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I had a guy offer to trade me the use of his vacation home for a weekend for my Mesa Buster 200 combo.
  6. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I think I can match that.

My strangest trade offer ever - I was selling some bass (MIJ Jazz? Stingray?) and this guy offered me a Dale Earnhardt (sp?) limited edition 6 pack of Coke cans, along with other Nascar Coke stuff (it was after his death). I politely passed, but had to again when the person insisted what a great deal I was passing up on...:rollno:

My most annoying trade experience involved my driving north for a couple of hours with my Benavente to meet with a person who offered a Zon or Garz or Hanewinkel or Warwick to trade. When I got there, he played the bass for a long time (clearly dug it) and then started making up reasons that he didn't like it (which were already obvious in pictures and description - it was green, it had four strings, it had EMG pickups). He then tries to get me to buy much less expensive gear (DeArmond something, Michael Kelly...) and said his other stuff was not for trade and went through a sob story about going through a divorce. Tried to pull a bait and switch on me...and I wasted 5 hours or so and lots of gas. :scowl:

But the strangest - definitely the Coke cans. [Edit: they were unopened, but a couple years old I believe.]

7. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    I was selling a Colt AR-15 carbine and I was offerred an unplayed "limited edition" (can't remember which) Gibson Les Paul in the case. The person bought it as an investment 10 years earlier and had just put it away. Playing bass, I passed. I should have looked into that deal. :crying:
  8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    wait, did I read this correctly your three basses for his one Tobias Renegade? that's just silly (and I enjoyed my Renegade for a year or so).

9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    For lessons, a girl offered me, well, let's just say it involved her mouth.

I declined, but I taught her a couple of scales and the cycle of 5ths, along with a lecture about self respect.
  10. I've had two different people offer to trade their Metro's for my Trace Elliot T-Bass?!?!?!?! Do I look like an idiot?? :bag:

Seriously, if you played my bass you would understand . . . they did.

Woodchuck, I gotta start hanging with you! . . . Because you know the cycle of 5ths . . . what did you think I meant? :scowl:
  11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I think I once offered my left leg for an MTD 635. :p
  12. I loved the story of that girl....
    And some of those stories are just crazy, people.....:rolleyes:
  13. I was once offered two MIM Fender Jazz 5:es for my Cirrus 5. I had clearly stated that it was a cash-only deal. Then there was this guy who offered a MIM Jazz 4, etc. etc. Do some people understand the value of instruments at all? :)
  14. gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    I think not... My Fodera VW Classic is for sale on eBay starting at $3,500, which is a reasonable price for this minty bass. I got an email from someone saying he'd buy it for $2,000 once the auction has finished because "That's what they're going for."
  15. Benavente

Aug 14, 2002
    I wish I could get someone to offer me a 2005 Mustang for a bunch of custom basses.... :)
  16. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Ummm, I'll trade you a severely used Squier P-bass for your Fodera. :bag:

17. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i offer my ex girlfriend(ebony beauty latina) for a Fodera :cool:
  18. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    One of my friends traded his only car for a Ernie Ball EVH guitar. He had to sell it 6 months later to buy another car. I guess his priorities were a little out of whack.
  19. I'd trade my Brice 5 String Jazz with Barts, and blocked FB for just about any 4 string. :bag:
  20. Benavente

Aug 14, 2002

How bout a Benavente. Can she sand???? :D