Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stranglehold by Ted Nugent

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Dec 19, 2001.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Is that a keyboard in the song, or a bass with a flanger on it. (during the pyschedlic drawn out, rocking, trippy, bombastic guitar solo :D )

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Bass with a flanger. Rob Grange posted on another forum about that one. He related that he was experimenting with the flanger, and Ted originally told him to "lose the toy", but found it added to the song in the end.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I agree it adds. I think it would sound kind of hollow just playing the bass line without. Espcially since there is no rythm instrument going on that's playing chords.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I dunno...my 3-piece band plays this tune and we use that part as an opportunity to bring the dynamics down for the "C'mon C'mon Up" vocal part. Makes it sound that much stronger when we all kick back in. I tried the effects on my bass a couple of times but didn't find that it justified the trouble of hauling them out just for one tune.

5. Funny I was just playing this disk yesterday.
    I love the whole disk but what an opening song.

StrangleHold will always be one of my favorites.
    It defines dynamics in a rock song.

6. I'll never get that song right. I've got a general idea on how to play it, but I have never got it exact to the album.

7. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    We've got this one old burned-out chick that comes to see our band fairly regularly....she requests this song every single time. We always get a napkin sent up with a big red lip smooch on it, requesting "Strangle Hole".

We laughed about it so much that we've been calling it that ourselves. :D

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    At least you don't get "Skynrd" requested at every gig. :rolleyes:

9. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Huh? Sure we do! This is Georgia, buddy! :D

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Well, I assume you've been gigging a lot longer than me, so I'm going to ask you: Is it like that everywhere, please say there are some bars/clubs/partys where a set can go by without someone yelling "Play some Skynrd". :D

11. [​IMG]

Free Bird

12. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Yeah, there are some... the actual number depending on your geographical location, 'course. Even here in the South there are a few, but trouble is the folks that frequent those places generally don't wanna hear ANY classic rock stuff. They also want you to play your original stuff "for the exposure" (free).

There seems to be a problem in most places that if you play even one guitar-based tune that could be included in the "Southern Rock" idiom, "FRRREEEE BIRD" is sure to follow.