Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stranglers sound with a sansamp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TracyPew, Mar 3, 2005.

1. TracyPew

TracyPew

Feb 21, 2005
    Hi,
    I've just bought a Sansamp bassdriver, and I'm trying to get the very low growly sound that The Stranglers and The Birthday Party got. Although I've been playing for several years, I'm a total newbie at EQ things.

Can anyone suggest good settings on the Sansamp to get that sort of sound? At the moment, I'm playing an Epiphone Eb3.

Thanks

2. I set mine as follows, but firstly you need to set your amp to have good low bass with high mids boosted, i boost the 1.6khz range to make the growl stand out.

My SABDDI settings are like this:

LEVEL: as required

Blend: 12 o clock

Treble: 11 o clock

Bass: 12 o clock

Drive: 12 o clock

Presence: 10 o clock

This works well for me using Stingray bass and Ashdown amp with Ampeg speakers, played fingers using Nickel strings

Tip: i found that you can get a totally different set of sounds from the SABDDI depending how you set the blend knob.

As i use mine to add to my sound at times and not "be" my sound at all times i like to keep the blend at 12 oclock so my good amp tone keeps intact and the Sabddi just makes it a bit more meaty and nasty.

Tip 2: the controls on the Sabddi are very sensitive so adjust by tiny amounts only, also they have an affect over each other, so take the bass down and the mids come back, boost the bass and the mids sound scooped.

Hope this helps