Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strap alternative: A harness?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funkateer, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I saw Kai Eckhardt play awhile back, and instead of a strap, he wore a harness (straps over both shoulders) that somehow held his bass. Anybody know where you can find these?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

3. Interesting idea....but i think ill stick with the big old thick leather Levy's. :)

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    that looks immensely stupid...but thats just my opinion.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hmm...i wonder how one of those guys would work with my thumb NT 6 string...i have the old wide leather levy's on there now, and i've used my comfort strap (which i can't get short enough) but neither seem to ease the stress of holding that big ol' beast for long sets...i'll have to look into that...it does look kinda gay, though

6. Dood, no homosexual I've ever met would caught dead in that thing!

7. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    You guys can talk all of the **** that you want, but I have heard nothing but good about those straps. If you have a bad back, I would suggest trying one out.

The bassit from Taproot doesn't mind wearing one.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Those Slider straps make your bass balance strangely. The neck is forced away from your body, which is not very comfortable at all. Just get a thicker strap.

9. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    How dare you question me!

10. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    that harness screams of geekdom.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The pocket protector of the music world, as it were.

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    +1

It looks like something your mum would make you wear because she doesnt like the way those other "straps" look! :D

(I'm sure it has lots of plus points - but so do orthopeadic shoes, braces and pocket protectors)

13. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I've posted this before, but here it is again.

The <a href="http://pages.infinit.net/ystrap/1234/anglais/M1-a.html">Corroie Y-Strap</a>

[​IMG]

Check it out!! :)

14. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    They look pretty geeky, but might be just what I need. I have back problems, and don't play some of my basses on gigs because of it. Maybe I could play my 6 string with one. I can probably stand the laughter better than the pain of a regular strap...:)

15. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    there is a noprene version of this harness thats pretty comfortable, is smooth and well balanced its not my style but is a good idea to put the weight all over the back and not just over one shoulder.

16. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004

Who cares! I'm over 30 and my back hurts. If any of dem whipper snappers makes fun of me I'll smack em down with my walking cane! :eyebrow:

17. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    now that looks like it belongs to some WW1 fancy Prussian uniform or something.

I'd still wear it over the harness though.

18. i had to use one of those slider harness deals once. terrible. the most uncomfortable damn thing i've ever strapped on. the balance is way off, your bass moves around wierd, you can't let go of the neck and let your instrument hang... awful.

19. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    A voice of reason right there. It's certainly not made with skinny people in mind.

20. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Yeah, I didn't want to say it, but I believe the strap works better on people with larger profiles. Bill Dickens uses them also.