Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strap Attachment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Milothicus, Feb 20, 2002.

1. I've got a mexican J-bass and the strap-button screw has stripped its hole. it hasn't fallen out while playing.......yet, but i want to fix it. what's the best way to do this? i'd like to do it as permanently as possible.

thanks.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Get a tooth pick. Remove the strap button screw. Dip the toothpick in wood glue. Stick it in the hole. Break it off flush with the hole. If it is one of those flat toothpicks, stuff the part you broke off in there as well.

Run the screw back into the hole immediately.

Don't put tension on it for a few hours.

Chas

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I did the same thing with my Ibanez, except waiting a day for the glue to set before putting the screw back in. I guess it works either way?

4. My Squier had the same problem. I filled in the hole with wood filler, and put the screw back in and let it dry.

5. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Another way to fix this problem is to just stuff some steel wool into the hole and screw the button back in. The steel wool will grab into the wood all the way around the screw, instead of just where a toothpick was added, offering many more points of friction. Plus, you can unscrew the button later, which usually isn't an option when glue is involved.

6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Wood filler will probably fail again. Do you play very often without a strap? I put long screws into my basses and bolted the strap on permanently, or I haved sewn shut the leather cut that allows it to fit over the strap button. After a little while I got used to having it on all the time, and the peace of mind was worth it.