1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strap button broke off, now what?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by coop, Nov 30, 2006.

1. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    My strap button broke off and now there is just a little nub of the screw sticking out of the top horn. There is not enough there to get a grip on it with pliers. I don't really think I can get a drill bit small enough to drill out the screw without messing up the surrounding wood.

Any tips, tricks, ideas or suggestions?:help:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'd take it to someone who is experienced at this. It's easy to mess up if you're not careful. Vise-grip pliers generally work if you can grip it, but if not, it'll have to be drilled out. I've had to do this on a 3000 dollar guitar before (a Gibson, go figure).

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I know you said you can't get it with pliers, but have you tried vice grips? Also, a set of really thin needle nose pliers can help a lot as well. I doubt it will take much to get the screw out. It isn't like the screw is rusted in place.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Good idea, but you have to be REALLY careful to not scratch up the bass.

5. That has worked for me but I used a Dremel tool with a very small cutting wheel instead of a hacksaw.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's the way!

7. This sounds like a great excuse to to go out and buy a Dremel with a lot of different accessories.:D

8. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Had to drill it out. After I finally removed it, I drilled a single clean hole, poured in some Gorilla glue & tapped in a hardwood dowel. Tomorrow I'll clean off the excess and put a new button on.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Not a bad idea. It'll be stronger anyways.

10. Rhomco

Rhomco Commercial User

Sep 14, 2005
    DFW, Texas
    Owner Operator: Rhomco Guitars
    if you cannot get a grip on the screw find a hard brass tube (hobby shop) with the inside diameter just larger than the screw diameter. File saw teeth on one end and chuck it in a power drill. Go slow and easy, it will core out the screw and leave a hole you can plug. You need to pull out the circular drill frequently and clean out the shavings.
    Rob