1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strap button extension

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Doc Mojo, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Doc Mojo

Doc Mojo

Oct 29, 2014
    Ohio
    I'm working with a co-worker , who happens to own a machine shop , on making a strap button extension to help with neck drop and general comfort. My design will be a multi part system that will let you use your strap buttons instead of being stuck with one style strap button. 4" or 6" styles with a built in washer to prevent the strap from sliding around. The screw attached at the body may or may not be milled out of the system or may just slip down the neck. If anyone would be interested in this or have any design input please let me know. I let a lot of great basses go because of balance issues and want to be pro active in solving this problem.

magstorm and Jeff Bonny like this.
  2. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    image.
    Here is mine

magstorm likes this.
  3. ShadowImage

ShadowImage Guest

Jan 12, 2016
    Nice idea, so it's basically a threaded spacer? I would be interested if they would work with Schaller style strap locks. Possibly anodizing black and gold options could be cool too.

4. Doc Mojo

Doc Mojo

Oct 29, 2014
    Ohio
    It's in the infant stage but the plan is to have threaded bolt that can use and strap lock like Schaller and Dunlop. I would like a system that can be removed on the fly when the bass is in the case. Maybe a threaded system that can be extended to the length you want.

5. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I've done this a lot in the past, basically for neck dive remediation.

Over a certain length, the cantalever of it all will bend the substrate, or it will chuck the threads. .. at lease it has on some of the ones I've done.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, that's a whole lot of sideways stress on a little bit of metal into a little bit of wood. (this idea has shown up here on TB many times over the years)

still, if it is strong enough, you might as well go with the dunlop locks, they'll add nearly another inch of strap offset onto the end there.

7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    You're right that it's nothing new. I made one in the early 80's with threaded lamp rod and a long wood screw with the head filed down to fit in the strap button. It worked but getting the length right took a few tries. What I've never seen is a system where you could relatively easily adjust the length of the extension. If he gets that right with this one it could be good. Modern ultra-light tuners have gone a long way to solving neck dive but on some basses that's not enough.

I wonder if something like the screws on the Gretsch screw-on buttons might be useful to make the transition from a set of short stackable rods to the bass?
    Gretsch Strap Buttons.

8. Doc Mojo

Doc Mojo

Oct 29, 2014
    Ohio
    The bass balancer worked on a Spector I had, it just had a few problems that needed worked out. The ability to expand, easy break down to fit in a case, the ability to use your choice of strap button and easy to return to stock. I plan to make this for myself but if someone else has a use for it, I would make more.

9. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I've added a 1/2" nylon (painted black) bushing as a spacer with a longer beefed up strap button screw. Any longer than that and you start to run into the law of diminishing returns as far are structural integrity and asthetics.

10. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

Doc Mojo, did you ever bring this to market? I'm on the lookout for a solution to balance a neck heavy Ibanez TMB600 bass I have. Thx