Strap button is dead, help me resuscitate

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by noahcopeland44, Jun 14, 2017.

1. noahcopeland44

noahcopeland44

Jun 14, 2017
    Hey all,

I had a strap button rip itself out of my's guitar. Now there's a stripped-out hole in the body that won't fit the strap button screw anymore.

So what are my options here? Is there any way to repair the hole? Should I just drill in a new hole a little lower/higher than the old one?

(it's the button furthest from the neck)

Thanks!

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

slip a toothpick in the hole, all the way to the bottom, then snap it off flush with the body
    now take out the wood & flip it around, put it back in, this way the pointy end is aiming out of the body & your screw can get started beside it easily
    put the screw back in

jcerio, NoiseNinja and Reedt2000 like this.
  3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I agree but id go a step further. Coat the toothpick in glue (yellow wood glue is best) put it in the hole and break it off flush (you can snip it with wire cutters). Repeat with more toothpicks until the hole is full then screw the button in while the glue is wet and let cure for a day. Everything will be super tight but not permanent, the screw will still come out if you want it to.

bigtone23, jcerio, 96tbird and 5 others like this.
  4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    And one other thing, if you have a felt washer on your strap button, take it off for the "screw the button in while the glue is wet and let it cure for a day" step. Also, keep some paper towels and water handy so you can mop up any squeeze out of excess glue.

Once you've let it dry for a day, Put a screwdriver in the screw head, and lightly tap the screwdriver handle with a wood block or something else not so heavy, as you apply a little pressure to the screw in the loosening direction. Just hold pressure and tap until the screw breaks loose then run it out as usual. when you have remounted the felt washer and are ready to run the screw back in, set it in the hole and turn it backward until it rises then drops just a bit before you run it home and gank on it.

RSBBass likes this.
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The toothpicks and glue generally works well enough, but I have had cases that were so severely torn out that it was better to drill out, dowel, and re-drill. Happens more in softer woods.

fhm555 likes this.
  6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

The toothpick thing is a pretty standard trick, but... what kind of wood did the screw pull out of? If the body's something soft - like basswood - there's the possibility it'll pull out again; toothpick or not. If that's the case, then drilling out the hole, and wood-gluing a hardwood dowel in for the screw would be what I'd do...:thumbsup:

jcerio likes this.
  7. Toothpicks and glue

Lownote38 and Pilgrim like this.
  8. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Toothpicks and wood glue is the best, easy fix. Even in softer wood bodies, the glue adds strength. I have even broke off screws that were glued in before the wood gave out!

Lownote38 likes this.
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Do a search for "fix strap button" and you'll be amazed by the number of threads (@1000) in which this has been answered.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022