Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strap button on 60's headstock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tortoise.sg, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Hi,
    I was just wondering what the strap button on the back of a 60's fender headstock was for? I'm sure you've seen them right... I had a '62 reissue and tried the strap on the button there, it just didn't work. I'm pretty sure it's not for a strap. But what could it be for? Could someone enlighten me?

2. It was for attaching a strap. They gave you the option of attaching the strap on the upper horn or on the back of the headstock, although very few players used the one on the headstock. Remember, the "thumb rest" was on the G string side because it was envisioned that the player would rest their fingers on it and pluck the strings with the thumb. Things were a little different in those days.

3. Yeah, but i tried it with the strap up there and it was in the way of the tuner heads. As in, if you strap it up there, the bass will never stay in tune. Eh...

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I belive the idea was that you would play it almost like an upright..almost like the angle that Fi3lDy plays at.