Strap button screw coming loose

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lpbassics, Apr 24, 2002.

1. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Recently I've found that after playing for a while my screw that holds the strap button on has been slowly coming out.:( :(

it doesn't slid right out, but can easily be 'unscrewed' out. It also wiggles when you touch it. I've stopped playing standing to reduce further possible damage.

Should i be taking it in to a shop to have this fixed or could i fix it easily at home like filling the hole with something, screwing it in, and letting it dry.

FYI it is a Spector NS2000q4, which i have been quite pleased with, except this one thing. It is 6 months old now.

If you need anymore specific info let me know.

thx a lot,
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    First off, searches are your friend and friends are good to have. ;)

To answer your question though, jam a toothpick or two (a matchstick will work too) into the offending hole and break off the excess, so the end of the 'pick is flush with the surface of the bass. Put a dollop or two of clear nail polish on the screw and screw it back in. It just has to be snug -- don't crank the hell out of it!

The toothpicks will help the screw find a new grip and when the polish dries, it will keep the screw from working itself loose again. Plus, it's clear, so if some of it gooshes out, no one will ever know!
  3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    It is a pretty easy fix... that being said, the bass should be under warranty. I would contact Spector before doing anything.

4. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I prefer wood glue for these things.
  5. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    my .02... i'd rather use 2 skinny toothpicks than 1 fat matchstick... and i use elmers glue.... but regardless.. this will most likely work for you.. but if its still under warranty, you might as well have some guitar guy do the same thing for free for you.
  6. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    yea ill try that first...

thx a lot guys