1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strap for a T40

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StarscreamG1, Mar 14, 2008.

1. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Part of why I got rid of my first T40 was my strap sucked and the weight killed me. I was stupider then than I am now :D and didn't know about strap 'technology' ....

So my 'new' T40 comes in, in a couple of weeks. I need a strap that can handle it with comfort to me. I am going rather bonkers trying to figure out a strap for it. There are the slider harnesses which was my first choice but with 2 inch wide nylon that just doesn't sound sturdy enough for a T40...then I found a Neotech Mega Bass strap at Musician's Friend. I have also found an uber over padded Levy black leather strap that boasts being made for axes like T40s....

All I know is looking at them all I think I've confused myself here... I want something black leather and wide but with the 'technology' to deal with the weight of a T40 hanging off me.... any suggestions?

2. Any 4 inch leather strap should do the job :)

3. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    You would think. ^_^ But I had a plain tan 4 -4.5 inch wide leather strap for the last one and it did no good at all. I basically gave up playing the thing standing up eventually. And when I did play it standing, I'd end up holding the axe up at the neck with my fret hand..not good...I need something that will take the weight off my left shoulder. Thats what stands out the most to me when I think back of playing my last one standing, my left shoulder and my left arm ending up supporting the weight of it. I tried it slung low, slung high, straight across me, angled up almost vertically..nothing helped...well if I leaned back against a wall it did LOL

4. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Have you tried a Pro Comfort Strap? GC usually has them or can get them. I use them all the time, although I don't have a T-40. One of my g****r players was always commenting on the weight of his Les Paul. So I told him to strap on my bass and see the difference a good strap can make. He was so impressed he got a (bass) Comfort Strap for himself (rather than a g****r Comfort Strap).

If you have a GC around, take that beast (T-40) in with you and try one out with it to see if it meets your needs.

5. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Oh, sorry. I just re-read your second post and you said you need something to take the weight OFF your left shoulder. The Comfort Strap won't do that. It just eases the weight. I think you're going to need one of those harness-type straps that fit over both shoulders.

6. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Well, off or at least disperse the weight of the beast (I liked that description LOL) evenly around my poor self here. I'm not the most petite person but I'm not large either. Now that I think about it I have to say that T40s /might/ be a tad oversized for me I think LOL but I don't care. ^_^

There is a GC not too far from me...bout 40 minutes. And I am interested in checking out the strap that you suggested. I hadn't thought of just loading it in the car and going strap shopping with it with me...thats a great idea actually!

7. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Look for a black Levy's deluxe padded garment leather strap (don't do tooled leather; the stiff top lessens the effectiveness of the padding. Looks good tho). I've got one for my Jazz and I almost can't feel it hanging off my shoulder. It oughta handle that T-40 without too much trouble. They make em in black, but you may have to special-order one (my local GCs just kinda stock what they please in the strap department).

Planet Waves also makes a nylon padded 3" strap built for big basses. I ripped out the pick pocket so I could maneuver the pad up a little more to the front (I angle my basses quite a bit and the pick pocket meant the padding ended just shy of a twice-broken collarbone). That's on a lighter Yamaha bass and I definitely cannot feel that one hanging off my shoulder, so again I think it'll handle your T-40.

8. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    The Comfort Strapp will take the weight off the left shoulder if you reverse the ends as I do. That puts more padding over the left shoulder and it looks fine that way

9. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Maybe thats why my left shoulder was always in such misery before. I have fractured the collar bone and shoulder blade of that arm (also dislocated the shoulder too..all in one fall >_<) back when I was a kid. Its never, ever caused me any problems but perhaps that somehow did contribute to the brutal feeling I'd get in that shoulder after a few minutes holding my T40.

And I have looked at that very Levy strap on the Bay that you mentioned and considered it as well. I do prefer plain leather over tooled though I'm a sucker for a nice mock crocodile/alligator 'print' black leather strap. ^_^

I'm going to go look at the comfort strap and re-look at the levys deluxe. I am short a few straps as it is so whichever one I pick (if I buy online over going to my local GC) and it doesn't work, one of my other axes just got it.

10. I have a Comfort strap - use it for my Heavy Ash bass, and my LP.

They are great straps.

about $45 or so most places that carry them.

you could add an additional pad if you wanted - maybe

11. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    You know I have an awesome padded black leather alligator print strap, no name brand but it looks just like a Levy, that I would always put it on the axe (its now on the Dyna but was on the Bat before) reversed and a few player friends of mine would always grouse about it. I finally put it on the right way but you know, it was more comfortable backwards/reversed to me LOL

12. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I just went on a quest for the perfect strap for me... I started by just ordering one online, and it looked perfect. Needless to say, that first one was far from perfect from my application (battling neck-dive, in this case... but the neck dive makes the bass feel far heavier than it actually is, so my shoulder was cramping up too). I went to guitar center and just spent half an hour messing around with many, many straps. They had a comfort strapp there but the neoprene felt a bit weird and too smushy for my tastes. I wound up getting a nice 'n wide garment leather Franklin Strap w/ a suede backing... it set me back $50, but i preferred the feel over any of the Levy's straps, and even though it's not heavily padded, it feels great because the suede/leather combo is really soft and thick. Something like a strap usually needs to be tried out in person because comfort is such a personal thing.

13. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    That smushy feel is what I keep thinking of concerning that neoprene strap. And the material of the slider harness and width is what concerns me about that ... Both really aren't cheap enough to take a shot in the dark with and see if they will work.

14. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I use a 2.5 inch leather strap with strap locks. Try out a lot of straps. The comfort will depend a lot on the shape and slope of your shoulder.

15. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Neo Tech straps (sold on MusiciansFriend.com). That is all I use now. They really make the bass feel half the weight. They are made of neoprene and they really disburse the weight great.

I have one for each of my basses.....

Neotech Super Bass Strap

16. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    I went to GC online...they have the slider strap at half the price as the bay (gee and I'm a smarter online shopper then that, I should have known better)... plus I saw a planet waves 'dare' strap which is similar. A strap coming down from each shoulder to the horn button but only one in the back (that is different from the slider). Pop a couple of planet waves squid pads on there and we sound like we might be in business. I am determined to make my T40 as comfortable as possible this time around.

And the neotech mega bass strap I have on my wish list there. I re read some reviews on it and I don't know I missed it the first time but one reviewer uses it on his T40 and says he can't feel the weight. I know everyone is different but that was nice to read that comment.

My shoulders are pretty straight across but I have a habit of having the strap up real close to my neck for some reason.

I was also incorrect on the strap I stated was on my Dyna. Its a plain 2 inch /unpadded/ black alligator/crocodile patterned strap (I said I like the black croc printed ones and I have more then one LOL)..guess I went from putting it on the right way to just not putting it on....now where did I put my padded one?)). That one is 'ok' but after awhile that shoulder burns and it gets annoying. That Dyna is not near as heavy as the T40 yet oddly enough I have no problem with my Foundation 4 and all it has is a 2 inch wide black nylon peavey strap I bought on a whim for like $3 off the bay. Slapped it on when it came in and that thing works great for me for that bass...go figure...

What do T40 users here use, might I ask?

17. Drive that Starsky and Hutch mobile up to Lakeland and try a bunch of different straps that I have :) I have 2 cushy Planet Waves straps and a few of the neopren STRAPP straps, very comfy for the T-40.

I have my leather sheath/holster guy making me up 4 SERIOUS bass straps. It will be a week or so before I get one but they should be NICE. All will be 4" wide with holes for straplocks not slots. I'm getting a black sharkskin with black suede lining for myself. Hopefully with with a green lizzard inlay. Pics ASAP !!!

18. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    ooo cant wait to see those straps Knifemaker ^_^ And deep down Id love nothing more then a massively WIDE uber padded black leather strap for 'Godzilla' (as I'm referring to the T40 right now LOL)...and you don't know how badly I want to do a lakeland meet up with you...waiting for the T40 to come in and GAS GAS GAS..not the bass kind LOL My 'Striped Tomato' gets a whopping EIGHT miles to the gallon o_O....glad I love my car (queen song plays in the background).....

19. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    [​IMG]

20. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    mmmm isn't that a Y-strap? I saw some of those on eBay last night...Interesting. Anyone know anything about these?