Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strap for heavy instruments

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joelc73, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Can anyone out there help? I need a strap for a heavy instrument. I remember awhile ago Dimarzio used to make a strap called the AirStrap, but they've since stopped. I recently saw Oteil playing with a strap that looked kind of similar. If anyone knows where I can get something comparable, please let me know. Thanks!

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The leather strap that came with my Zon is excellent at supporting a heavy bass (Ash Fender and G&L, Surine 7) and stopping neck dive. It doesn't "look" like it should work as well as it does.

I just bought a 3" Levy leather strap for the 7 that is well padded, very comfortable and stays where you put it. ~$30.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

yeah, i'll have to go with brad on that one. i play a warwick thumb, and i don't think i'll raise an argument when i say my fiddle is heavy...i use a levy's strap as well. it's a PM32 to be more specific...a thick, wide padded beast. it's great though...i paid 40 bucks for mine though :( i never get a good deal...brad!! you sukk!! j/k, man...:D

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm gonna go in a slightly different direction. The Levy's are nice, but the Comfort Strapp is MUCH better. I am speaking from experience too, no comparison. The price of the Comfort Strapp is a bit more (~$40), but well worth the investment. Check with any good music store, or contact Bass Central or Bass NW, they should either have them or be able to get one for you fairly quickly.

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I had considered the Slider stap at one point, but it seemed kind of awkward. It's worth a shot though.

notduane - about the Azola. I had a Bug bass which i recently sold. It was amazing, but i'm expecting my new Azola acoustic baby bass within the next couple of weeks, and something had to go.

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :eek::eek:
    Now if y'all will excuse me, I'm gonna' console myself with the local
    college jazz radio show (before they fade out :p ).
    They're spotlightin' George Duke (can Stanley be far behind?) ;):D

8. I use a 3 1/2" plain leather strap with the rough unfinished side against my shoulder. It holds up a 7 string with no neck dive and is comfortable. I used my slider for about 2 minutes it is not for everyone. You can't raise the bass very high and the neck needs to be more or less level. If you wear the bass very low it might work. So a good wide high quality strap would be your best bet.

9. I have a bass that is fairly heavy too. XB500 Washburn. The strap i use is leather (got flames down it too. muhahahaha). From what i've read, leather seems to work the best, its durable, light and smooth and most of all fairly cheap. My strap cost something like 25 dollars, and u can go cheaper. Just try some in the shop. Its all about what u think looks best.

Like i would never get a strap with a sheep skin front, but i had an army one cause it fits the image of Heavy Metal! lol

Merls

10. I'd vote for the Comfort Strap. Bought mine when I got my Warwick. Still use it with my Carvin.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Comfort Strapp's I've checked out bounced too much for me. Not a lot, just enough to annoy me. I A/B'd it with the Levy and bought the Levy, I'm just used to no movement. I used it the same night, the first time I took the 7 string out... 3 hr. gig, no fatigue.

It (the CS)was very comfortable.

12. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I don't care for my Comfort Strapp, it sticks like glue to my shoulder and restricts movement. I unloaded my heavy basses and am happy with the Planet Wave straps, the pad stays put but the strap can be induced to move through it as you change positions. Works best with well balanced and only moderately heavy basses.

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i tried a comfort strap w/ my doubleneck, but it stretched too much (the doubleneck weighs 27 lbs), so i use it on my ~16 lb 8 strings, works fine.

i use a padded gibson strap for the doubleneck, works well, and just a 2" learther strap for each of my 7's.