1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strap length question (and no not how low do you wear your bass)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Abemas, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Abemas

Abemas

Dec 15, 2005
    I've been playing bass for a few months now and I've been putting off getting a strap. I'm getting pretty comfortable (perhaps too comfortable) with it just sitting on my knee while I play and I know I need to get a strap soon. I've searched and found quite a few straps that I like and I noticed that some of them have length choices. My question is....how long a strap should I purchase? While I could just buy a cheap one and figure out what feels right I'd rather just get something decent from the start that I know will fit right. I'm 6'2" if that has any influence. If you guys could offer any suggestions i would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I would think that the best thing you can do is take your bass to a local store and try out different straps, just to be sure.

For me, I am between 5'11'' and 6'. I used to play higher (50-some odd inches), until recently. Now, I find that my wrist and fingers are happier with my bass lower ... much lower, to be precise. I had to custom-order a new strap to hit this length: 60" exactly. It is the bomb and worth every penny I paid for it. It is simply comfortable (for me). I don't know why I didn't go this route years and years ago. But that is just my observation ...

Good luck!

jtg

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Well, my advice would be to purchase a strap that allows you to wear your bass at the same height as if you are resting it on your knee. Just play with the bass on your knee and adjust the strap until it supports the bass but doesn't lift it. That way, if you stand up, the bass will be at the same height as seeted.

That's how I do it anyway.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    This is how I do it too. Try to take out all the variables in practicing and live playing. This was in a Billy Sheehan instructional video I believe, and I've followed it ever since then.