Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strap lock alternatives?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Mar 31, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    I have a tanglewood p-bass, and upon purchasing it i bought the cheapest strap possible, as it is my first bass. But sometimes the strap falls off the hooks of the bass, and i have dented it quite a few times, i am so skint that i can't afford a starp lock, can u think of any alternatives. My mate told me the top of a Grolsch bottle could do it?

2. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    2 words my friend: DUCT TAPE!

Or, if you dont wanna destroy the finish, take the strap buttons off and fit the right size washer on the button so it doesnt fall off, then put the strap on and screw the strap button back on your bass.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'd take Internal Primate's route and just screw that sucker right onto the bass!! Believe me, it works!

-robert

4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I put the strap on then sew up the slit so the strap never comes off. Or I just screw it on.

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Fender bass string retainers.

6. yeah the grolsch rubber seals are the best and cheapest way to go, you don't have to unscrew anything in a barbarian way or duct tape it,, if your not the alcoholic type, you can get them in bags from wine and beer suppliers.

there the right size and you can take your strap off!

7. two words

Nail Gun

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    In the Musicians friend catalog they sell really cheap straps with a plastic locking hole on the end. They're about 3 bucks and they really work. I had one for about a year, then the plastic piece broke and I bought straplocks - but I liked em a lot.