Strap Lock Buttons

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bizzybass, Jun 9, 2017.

1. bizzybass

bizzybass Inactive Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2014
    20170609_125636.jpg Does anybody recognize this type of strap lock button? They came on a bass I recently purchased. Of course the bass didn't come with the strap / strap locks...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  2. ZonieBass

ZonieBass Send Lawyers, Guns and Money... Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    There's no picture....

3. bizzybass

Feb 17, 2014
    Thank you for bringing that too my attention and input. It didn't initially upload for some reason. The pic is up now.

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Schaller:

Grover_Quick-release_Strap_Locks.jpg

Aqualung60 and RedJag like this.
  5. cgg199

cgg199

Jun 9, 2017
    They look like Fender strap locks to me. Little ball bearings sit in the groove, and they work better if they are kept lubricated.

bizzybass likes this.
  6. bizzybass

Feb 17, 2014
    No they're not Schaller. Schaller is what I've been using for over 20 years. The picture of the strap button I posted looks entirely different from Schaller.

7. bizzybass

Feb 17, 2014
    Fender makes a strap lock button that looks like that? At Sam Ash over the past year I recently noticed fender must have got licensing to make a Schaller style strap lock. I have a few sets that are Schaller duplicates made by fender.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    They look like cheap Schaller knock offs. The mechanism looks to be the same as Schaller, but the bottom portion of the strap button is longer. Same idea, but Schaller did it first.

lakefx and gebass6 like this.
  9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Not Schaller.The base is too thick.

bizzybass likes this.
  10. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Ooops. Yeah, I see the difference now. Sorry.

bizzybass likes this.
  11. cgg199

cgg199

Jun 9, 2017
    These are the ones I mean

fender_chrome_strap_locks_2_-990818300_large.png

The large metal parts contain the bearings and sits around the strap pins. They work in a way similar to Dunlops (but are inverted to the Dunlop design) with ball bearings sitting in a groove. I actually like the design and think it's underrated, it you have to make sure the locks are tight on the strap.

96tbird, Burwabit, pudgychef and 3 others like this.
  12. lpbfender

lpbfender Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Stamford CT
    Suggest ditching them and getting Dunlops.

onda'bass, Burwabit, shodan and 3 others like this.
  13. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Do yourself a solid by ditching those & just getting some oversized buttons like G&L, ESP, & Ibanez use:

EOSB-N.jpg

14. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    +1 on Dunlop Straplocks.

They hold tight... they're available at many places... and they're not as noisy as Schallers.

15. osv

osv Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I use Allparts oversized on all of my basses.

kesmit and Killed_by_Death like this.
  16. Mildew Jones

Mildew Jones

Dec 18, 2014
  17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    M
    fender has been using Schaller style locks since at least the early 90's.

The US Jazz Plus i bought new back then had them. It was the first time i'd ever seen strap locks and when i first saw the bass i thought it had a pretty odd looking strap button, but once i found the other half in the bag of case candy, the lightbulb lit right up. I'm still using that same set of locks on that same bass and have never had a minutes trouble with them. I'm on my third strap and like the locks, i've never had any problems with the jam nuts coming loose.

18. bizzybass

Feb 17, 2014
    Okay. Would you please shoot me a pic of what your strap locks attached to your strap look like?

19. bizzybass

Feb 17, 2014
    There you go, that's the buttons. Well I guess I'll wait til I see a friend using those and offer them to him/her. Hopefully they'll have more than one guitar. ;)

20. bizzybass

Feb 17, 2014
    Ehhh.. I like using strap locks. You know for when you swing that guitar around your neck like it's 1988 ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2021