Strap lock loosening the button

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dazmond, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    Not a problem...

- georgestrings

2. Only if they hate very secure strap-loks.;)

3. 1. Dip toothpicks into glue.

2. Put toothpicks in hole.

3. Trim toothpicks.

4. Screw strap peg into hole.

5. Rock on for years and years, confident in your secure, economical, and reversible (the screws can be removed and re-inserted at any time) solution.

4. After some thought, gentlemen, I do find it interesting that, faced with someone telling you that he has witnessed a problem with gluing screws into the wood, the reaction is not "'Gee, I haven't had that problem, I wonder how common it could be if I haven't seen it?" but: "Can't happen."

I find this interesting - and telling.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Probably sir, is the fact that in general, one actually does not desire that the strap screws EVER come out of the bass. And the fact is that if you did want to remove them and that glue won't let go, ten seconds with a soldering iron touched to the screw will release it from the glue. We who dissent are not neophytes.

6. Why would one need to use the soldering iron? I've clearly been told that it does not happen and the glue cannot adhere to the screw.

You who dissent do not appear to be in complete agreement.

(that IS great way to break it loose, by the way, if a screw doesn't want to break free, but I was talking about soft woods (poplar, bass) where it can tear things up and just feels tight and stiff rather than not breaking loose at all. You will note, I never said or implied that you would not be able to get the screw out)

And, putting strap locks on a bass, or changing to your preferred strap locks when buying a used bass, are very common reasons for removing strap screws from a bass, as evidenced by the OP's original question. Plus, once again, I'm a little confused why this point is important if the screws will never adhere to the glue, as all these non-neophytes have said.

7. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Kids, kids! Play nice...now, you dont need glue. Just take a well chewed wad of Big League Chew and...wait, what were we talking about?

8. Glue

9. Trying.

Really trying.

10. And, George, reading this again, I noticed something important. Your experience is simply that you have not experienced what I described. Thus, your experience does not contradict what I have "claimed," it merely does not support it. It has not happened to you. You haven't seen it. Okay, I accept that. I will even accept that it may be less common than my experience led me to believe.

However, it is, in fact, my direct experience which contradicts the claim that it does not happen.

Thank you for putting it so clearly, even if not as you intended.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    OK, I'll play along - how many basses and guitars do you figure that you've installed straplocks on???

- georgestrings

12. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Wood glue to be exact. How many times have noobs come here and asked if they should use epoxy on repairs such as this? Many, too many. Lets us admit that major softie may have run into that situation and had the results as reported. Let us also admit that wood glue if the ONLY substance that should be used in this application. I know these posters here and rest assured when we say glue, we all mean nothing but wood glue. We should strive to always point that out in these weekly threads that pop up on this exact subject.

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    You sure are...

- georgestrings

14. Wood glue.

15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    sorry, forgot to mention to grease the screw before you run it in. The idea is to strengthen the wood around the screw with glue, making it much more reliable for future removal and replacement.

As far as that goes, when I work on a used bass of unknown origin I always break out my soldering iron the first time I remove any screws just in case I run across a balky screw.

I hate to disagree with you, but it's not a big deal and it is certainly not something to get all up in arms about.

If you are not sure how to go about this stuff you either need to take it someplace or learn to do it Over the years I've done dozens of guitars and basses as I described earlier and NEVER had any future issues with screws tearing out threads after putting a little glue in the hole to tighten up the threads cut into the wood.

I do the same thing with all my RC airplanes only I use CA in the balsa or birch plywood and the screw holes NEVER get punky.

16. Oh, come on George. You're trying too. You know you are. :D

I'll bet I've had the strap buttons off no more than 15 guitars in my life. Thus, my willingness to agree that my limited sample could lead me to thinking it might happen more frequently than it does. I think I've only seen what I described twice . . . on basses/guitars . . . but I have done a ton of woodworking for decades, and I've seen it far more times there, and in circumstances where I know that it was wood glue. Since I also work in the theatre, I see more woodwork torn apart than in most industries. Everything in the theatre used to be held together with nails, now it's all screws.

So, there you have it, my bio-lite. Only enough times with instruments to know it can happen, not enough to know how easily. Enough experience in other circumstances to know that wood glue will stick to metal screws. Enough decades of woodworking and joinery to know the difference between filling a stripped hole with glue and wood, letting it dry, drilling a pilot hole, and replacing the screw - and shortcuts. I've done the toothpick trick. I've done the steel wool trick, I've used larger screws, I've used longer screws, I think I've pretty much tried all the common approaches.

17. ^^MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE^^

:p

18. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Over the last seven years alone, I have removed and reinstalled the strap pins on over 50 different basses. In every bass I've owned, I've installed locking strap pins with toothpicks and wood glue. In every bass I've sold, I've removed those locking pins and reinstalled the original pins. I've never experienced the issue you claim is so commonplace. I've done three in the last month alone. The screws always come loose. The wood never "tears."

I'm confident you think you're right. Your experience contradicts my own substantial experience, and the experience of every knowledgeable person with which I've discussed this topic. Sorry if I find you less than credible.

19. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

Jun 3, 2011
    TX
    Always hated my schallers. They worked themselves loose all the time and eventually pieces disappeared. I need to pick up some dunlops.

20. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    :rollno: Your post completely contradicts my experience, and I've been playing since '68, and woodworking for a little longer.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.