Strap Lock Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jaysun, Dec 28, 2005.

1. jaysun

Dec 24, 2005
    Because of my extreme stunting that i perform on stage, i needed strap locks. Did a little research and came up with DUnlops as the best bang for the buck. I installed the set and at my first practice with them (today) i threw the guitar around me. worked fine the first time. the second time,the back one ripped out. The screw going into the back of my bass bent (easily replaced) but the wood where the hole was, was mashed to the side so the hole is like twice as big as it used to be. needless to say, the screw won't be going back into the same hole. Heres my question:

How can i fix it? i don't want to drill another whole and have the smae thing happen again. Should i use a longer screw? Is there some sort of anchor i can put in?
  2. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Get a small dowel rod, the smallest you can get that is just larger than the hole.

Get a drill and re-drill the same hole to the size of the dowel rod, basically just routing it out and making it round again.

Using wood glue, insert the dowel rod into the existing hole (measure twice, cut once!).

After 24-48 hours drying time, get a new screw for the Dunlop and drill the correct sized hole into the dowel rod that you inserted and glued.

Use wood glue when you put in the new screw to help secure it.

EDIT: Get a hardwood dowel rod, not a soft pine.
  3. Try not throwing around such a piece of artwork like a bass,let those foolish guitar players do that.
  4. to repair a ripped out strap button, you need wood glue, and some toothpicks. dip a toothpick into some wood glue and insert it as far as you can into the hole, and break it off. repeat this until you can't fit anymore t-picks, in the hole. let it dry(24hrs). use a razor to trim it flush (very carefully).
    insert the the screw and button, from your new set of, Schaller strap locks. repeat as needed.

throwing a guitar is for posers. be a player, not a poser.
  5. Get Schallers and all your strap-lock woes will be over.

Edit: OH, I forgot this was about the big hole problem...
    I don't know how to fix that, but I'd get Schallers next time anyways. Good luck.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Unacceptable. I play my bass, my bass does not play me. I'm all about entertaining onstage, and if it means you do some crazy stuff with the bass, so be it. My basses are not artwork...they are tools that I use to do a job. If they happen to get damaged, not a big deal. Some of you guys may feel comfortable standing up onstage doing nothing other than playing, and that's fine, but there are some of us who actually like to entertain. No reason to put us down for it.

I filled in the screw holes with epoxy for all my Straploks. I tried plugging them with dowels and redrilling, but they still work loose. So I just glued them in there with epoxy and now they never move. Of course, they'll never come out if I need them to, but that's OK ;)

BTW, there are some people who like Schallers, but I've always preferred Dunlops.
  7. FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    I noticed a similar problem with my straplocks, although I noticed it before the screw came out. The bottom one by the bridge was slowly working its way out and was just barely hanging on when I saw it. So I took the screws out, and superglued the **** outta the threads, and rammed them back in. Now those straplocks are a permanent part of my jazz bass!
  8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I gotta agree with Jimmy here, on all three points .....

If you are very animated, that's cool, as long as it works for you. After all , it is an entertainment business .... ;)

Epoxy those fella's in there, they'll never come loose. But, like Jimmy said, they'll never come loose ever again ... :meh:

I'm more inclined to use the Dunlops, as well .... I just got a bass that had Schallers installed, they're not bad but I still feel safer with the Dunlops ..... :cool:
  9. jaysun

Dec 24, 2005
    sweet. OK thanks for the help. So i shouldn't even bother wiht drilling another hole? I should just fill the hole up with epoxy and puch the screw back in?

That toothpick idea sounded a little crazy anyhow.
  10. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    No, don't drill another hole. But, the toothpick idea will work. Carpenters use toothpicks to firm up a door hinge or cabinet hinge all the time.
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Be an entertainer, not a studio musician. damn! I couldn't think of anything wittier and more sarcastic than that to say?

I fixed the hole in my old fender with a toothpick and glue. I never had any more problems with it.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The toothpick and glue thing may sound crazy, but it is a time tested and proven method. As ezstep said, that is how carpenters repair a screw hole that is 'wallered out'.

Moved to Setup.
  13. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Schallers == yuck :spit:
  14. jaysun

Dec 24, 2005
    i liek the epoxy idea. I don't ever want the strap lock to come loose during a show (ive seen it happen before).
    My father suggested J.B. weld. Good idea or bad idea?
  15. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    sorry to hijack the thread but...

When throwing your bass around urself arent u afraid of the neck hitting the ground? I play my bass at fairly normal level (dont wear it like a bow tie or play it down by my knees) and I actioned out the whole spinning thing and I was fairly certain the neck would hit the ground.
  16. jaysun

Dec 24, 2005
    yeah. Thats why most bass players throw it around them backwards. THe angle is a lot better. i acually wear mine really low and i threw it around me (forward) one time successfully (before it broke) and it didn't hit the ground. I think it depneds a lot on the way you throw it.

i acually practiced out side in the grass. Luckily i was outside when the straplock broke. i guess im lucky, none of my tuning pegs broke off.

risks risks risks. its all about the risks. let me show you a movie from my bands website.
  17. jaysun

Dec 24, 2005
  18. If your going to do that, screw strap locks, get yourself some aroldyte (sp)? and lots of duct tape, and make sure that strap aind going anywhere ;)
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

1) As noted: nothing wrong with being an entertainer and a player. Vic Wooten knows this.

2) Dunlop Dual Designs are the bomb. I used Schallers for the better part of 2 decades, but will never go back: they were a constant source of frustration. That's my experience, anyway.
  20. jaysun

Dec 24, 2005
    seriously though, can i use jb weld?