Strap lock systems poll and advice...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ninnlangel, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Schaller

78 vote(s)
  2. Dunlop

93 vote(s)
  3. Others

14 vote(s)
  4. None / Carrots

30 vote(s)
  1. My honest recommendation is ONLY go with schaller. I waited for 2 months for mine because GC was on backorder, and it was well worth it. Feels so secure. I flip my bass around and everything and I am not worried the least bit. I actually want to find next time I haev money and guitar center has Schallers I want to buy like...3 more, just in case I get a bass I can immediately put them on.

I hear the dunlop ones tend to jam a bit more, and are not as secure. I am honestly in love with my straplocks.

DEF. Go Schaller
  2. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I use the schallers but when I use the dunlops I find I prefer them. When I was young(er) and stupid(er) I spun my bass around a few times, and one time the straplock malfunctioned and the bass hit a house. I stopped doing that.
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There is a system I prefer over either of those, which uses a thick nylon washer with a slice cut out of it to fit over your strap peg. There is a guy on ebay that sells them ready-to-use, and they're great, but it's also pretty easy to make your own. Way more reliable and less dorky-looking than non-recessed Schaller types.
  4. Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    The dunlops work great, but if youre practicing without an amp, they tend to rattle quite a bit.
  5. That system defeats the fast and easy strap switching purpose though... I can't afford one $100 4" Moody strap per bass ;)
  6. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I've used both. I like the Dunlop system better, but the Schallers are probably sturdier. Try 'em both... everyone has their favorites.
  7. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I have dunlops on most of my basses, but I also have some straps with Schaller ends so when I get a bass with those straplocks, I can use one of those straps.

I've never had one release on me (dunlop or schaller), I always give the strap a quick 'tug' after I hook in to make sure it's secure. I also don't notice any rattle, but then again I don't think I ever use a strap when I'm sitting around the house.

One difference between the two - the Schaller uses a more standard size screw. The Dunlop uses an oversize screw which will open up the screw holes a little. If you ever want to switch that bass over to Schaller or standard straplocks (like if you sell a bass and want to keep your Dunlops or the buyer prefers Schaller), you will need to fix the screw holes with toothpics so the smaller screws won't strip out.
  8. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    dunlops, no question for me.
  9. This is a quick thread !

I definitely was looking at the Dunlops with greater interest... I'm going to go with them. Anyone has good recommendations of where to get the, ? I found them on, but they don't sell additional screws.

Thank you all for your input !

10. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Get extra Dunlop buttons from

You can order just the locks for the bass separately in any finish they make.

The full sets are a little more at allparts than other places (quick check)
  11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    6 basses and a combined 32 years of ownership, I've never had a single failure with Dunlop StrapLoks.

...that being said, this is more of a "green apples vs. red apples" comparison. I prefer the design and release system of Dunlops over Schallers, but the only reason I'd swap out Schallers is to conform to the rest of my instruments. I don't swing my basses like Victa, so it's simply an extra layer of protection in my case.
  12. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I prefer the Schallers, since the locking pin does not carry the weight. Even if the spring and latch fall completely off, the instrument won't fall (although it won't be locked to the strap anymore either.) I spring/pin failure on a Dunlop is an instant crash to the floor, since the pin takes all the load. Maybe not as slick or sexy, but the Schallers would appear to be bigtime more sturdy and reliable than the Dunlops.

- Tim
  13. TechZilla

Jun 18, 2005
    Owensboro, KY
    I guess i'm a Schaller guy. For some reason I don't trust the Dunlops even though i've never had one fail. I like the way the bass actually hangs on the Schallers so to get one loose even if the button failed you would have to lift on the bass. My only complaint is that they can be really noisy if you move around much.
  14. LMAO!!! and my wife is still laughing. But then again she has been awake 20 hours.
    Back on the subject I prefer dunlops.
  15. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I guess I'm the odd man out as I use Q-parts straplocks.

They have worked perfectly and I plan to buy another set when my Innovator is finished.
  16. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I use Schaller upon Jens Ritter's suggestion and think they're great. I don't have experience with the others.

17. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I used Dunlop on my old Warwick Corvette 6 and they used to just let go every now and then. The bass would go crashing towards the floor! Nightmare.

I have switched to Schaller and have not had a problem sense.

IMHO Schaller are MUCH more secure. The Dunlop can pull out.
  18. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Schaller Straplocks all the way, I use them on all of my basses.
  19. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    The sad thing is that the story is completely accurate. I was playing with an older guitar player (he had about 40 yrs more experience than me) and I spun my bass around once. He wanted to see it again, so I do it in his front yard, and the bass goes flying!