1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strap locks and cable pull-out/damage

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by geoff_in_nc, May 10, 2015.

1. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc

Dec 13, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm not really sure of the right wording here and I apologize for explaining this very poorly..... but I started using Dunlop Straplocks and find that I can't just loop my cable through the strap button area to keep a loop to prevent pulling on the cable/output jack. The depth of the Dunlop strap button is enough that the strap won't hold the cable against the body.

Anybody have any thoughts on how to anchor the cable?

I just let the cable dangle last night and stepped on it and pulled it out.... not good.

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've used Dunlops since forever and I just run the cable over the area between the bass body and the strap, right over the strap pin itself, on to the jack. No problems ever. I use the dual-lock ones, not the flush mount.

smogg, TalHaz, Lava and 3 others like this.
  3. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc

Dec 13, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks 20db. I tried that but don't like that the cable moves freely through the body/straplock/strap junction... It still feels like the jack could get damaged if I step on my cable.

4. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

buy cable straps,the velcro ones and run it thru the strap loop near the bottom, velcro the tie over itself and your cable like this:

DE90F521-DC6E-48BF-A9C2-AE52F07C5F10_zpsds4tbose.

85F97596-DCA0-4941-B761-24230ABCD463_zps21g2lldx.

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I'm as clumsy as hell and still never did that, myself. Generally, the old cable/strap trick gets the cable out of the way of where your feet are to avoid that sort of stuff with some due diligence. You can also tie a loose knot with the cable itself around the cable/strap pin area so the tension of stepping on the cable will go into tightening that knot instead of the jack/plug area if that happens.

The only sure-fire, guaranteed way to avoid this is to go wireless!

Gabbs, geoff_in_nc and JGbassman like this.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you are using a right-angle cable, right?

slip it through the strap as usual, it'll be fine, and way better than letting the cable dangle straight off the bass.

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  7. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc

Dec 13, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks Bazztard, I'll try that. Didn't think of that at all. 20db, thanks again.... wireless could be cool! :)

8. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc

Dec 13, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Walterw, my cable is right angle on one end. Last night I used the straight end on my bass's side figuring if I did yank it out, it would come straight out and not do damage. (And I did both yank it out, and didn't do any damage - other than to my ego) I think I'll switch to the right angle at the bass and the velcro cable tie as a strain relief.

You know the stupid thing is that I have a velcro cable tie on the cord already and it never dawned on me to use it to wrap around my strap.... doh!

9. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

even running the cable through the loop in your strap works . The weight of the bass tightens the strap loop keeping the cable from moving.

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    uh, the point of the OP was that the dunlops lift the strap a good 1/2" away from the bass, so that there's no longer any pinching action between the strap and the bass body.

i say that's no big deal, especially with a right-angle plug; just loop the cable through the strap through as usual.

geoff_in_nc and tkonbass like this.
  11. bass_case

bass_case Maintain low tones. Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Miami, FL
    Get rid of the strap locks. I used them for a while but found them to be an annoyance. Washers are more secure and a lot cheaper.

sharkbait130 and geoff_in_nc like this.
  12. I agree with @walterw use a right-angle plug and never worry

geoff_in_nc and JollySpudd like this.
  13. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

you misunderstood me, I meant between the two bits of strap in the loop, oh forget it

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  14. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    I have a small loop of leather/suede string type stuff ... looped thru the hole in my strap near the strap lock ... I run my right angle cable thru that ... you get a little extra warning when you step on it ..! tried a few coiled chords , like we used in the 70's , but they seem a bit tooooooo heavy ... you can see the loop at the bottom of the left bass . pic I got the idea from my Pedulla strap which came to me that way ..!! DSC00279.JPG 1994_et5.

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  15. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Beer bottle flip cap gaskets for strap locks, no problems with looping the cable between the strap and my bass body...

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  16. ZonieBass

ZonieBass Send Lawyers, Guns and Money... Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    +1

Gabbs and geoff_in_nc like this.
  17. Situational awareness an option??

18. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc

Dec 13, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    for me? That's probably wishful thinking at best.... "Clumsy" often fits me as a descriptor. :woot:

DwaynieAD likes this.
  19. If you can't find a couple bottles of Grolsch beer, E-Bay has the rubber washers, I think Dunlop even makes a washer-type strap "lock". Works for many, and you get the nice tight loop. The fancy straplocks can be a drag.

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  20. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    This is one of a few reasons I put flush Dunlop locks on everything, I use one strap all the time, but have a spare with locks on it, in case. With the flush locks, it's about the same as plain buttons, (strap holds the cable).

geoff_in_nc likes this.