strap locks or locking strap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by n8g14, Apr 24, 2003.

1. n8g14

Apr 1, 2003
    i need some way to secure my strap on my bass. i've never used any kind of strap lock before- which is better and more secure, strap locks that replace the pegs on the guitar or the straps that have the locks built in on the ends?
  2. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    Schaller Straplocks
  3. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    I second the Schaller Locks.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

After using Schaller locks for over a decade, I bought a bass which came with the Dunlop Dual-Design locks. After weighing the pluses and minuses of each design, I got rid of all my Schallers and now use the Dunlops exclusively.
  5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Fuzzbass had posted his comments on Dunlop Dual Designs a while back prompting me to try them on my new bass. I have to agree with Fuzzbass on their usefulness. I also stopped using the Schallers. I like the fact that I can use a strap without locks in a pinch if I need to, something I couldn't do with the Schallers. They are also easier to install on thicker leather straps.

So, uh, thanks Fuzzbass :D
  6. Personally i would go for a locking strap. I have schallers on my MIA precision, Dunlops on my MTD K5 and use the Dunlop plastic disc locks on my cheap Bronco. Between the standard schallers and Dunlops it strikes me as preference rather than any huge technical difference. I have had issues with both but never anything major enough to make me go out and buy just one type. The reason I would go for the locking strap (I assume you are thinking of something like the planet waves ones) is that there is no modification to be done to the bass, and it can be used with any bass. I have had issues with fitting both types to basses and have come to the conclusion that if you can secure your bass with out them do that.

7. Yup, they get my vote! Easy to use, easy to install and they do the job real well!:)
  8. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    I would say the Dunlops, I personally dont like schallers. I only have 1 chip in my bass and its from the schallers falling off. It was most likely my fault, but im a Dunlop fan. To each his own.
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dunlops. i've used them on heavy instruments for a decade, including my doubleneck, which weighs 25 pounds, and i've never had them fail.
  10. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Here's another vote for Dunlops. I use them on all my guitars...

11. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Ive never used straplocks, but i do have a locking strap. I use it for my guitar, and it works ok i guess, but i wouldent trust it on my bass. Plus it broke because i put it on a guitar with a weird strap button, and it broke when i tried to take it off. Its a rouge, and cost $1.50

How do straplocks work?
  12. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I've been using schallers for the past 2 years. As long as you make sure that the screw fits in the hole securely you shouldn't have a problem. The stock screw worked when i put them on the Ray5. Thats all
  13. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I use both Schallers and Dunlops but the best may be over-sized strap buttons and no lock at all! Ernie Ball, G&L, Hannewinckel and others use the over-sized button and it works very well with almost no chance of dropping the instrument if your strap is half-way decent. Of course, some basses, due to their design necessitate straplocks, e.g. Conklin or Gibson with the button on the neck heel or back side of upper bout. Dunlops seem to be the norm on most high-end basses as on Roscoe, Smith, Fodera, etc. Especially where recessed jacks are provided.
  14. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN

:) :D :p