1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strap locks (or not)?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kipp Harrington, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Going to open my gift Christmas morning (Lakland DJ4) and want to know what my options are, other than strap locks. Or, what strap locks do you guys/gals prefer?

I am using Fender Strap Blocks on my Squier PJ and they seem to be doing the job just fine. I just don't want to have to drill/screw into the body if I don't necessarily have to.

I did see D'Addario has "Dual-Lock" strap locks that appear to be an option. Guess I would just like some insight and guidance on this matter.

Thanks!

2. blip

blip Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2010
    MPLS, MN
    I like the rubber washer type. Noninvasive and easy to use with most straps.

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have always used Strap Locks. They come with Roscoes. It was the first "mod" I made when I used to play other basses. Dunlop for me.

Bolsyo, PillO and mesaplayer83 like this.
  4. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I use Schallers - I have for over 20 years, and see no reason to change that...

Amano, Luigir, Nick Danger and 4 others like this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I hate the clacky metal on metal noise they all make. That's enough for me to not use them. Grolsch washers do the trick and are silent.

6. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I put Loxx strap locks on all my basses. Low profile and strong. The change is completely reversible.

claudel likes this.
  7. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Yes! Locks are a must. I use the newer Schallers that do not rattle.

mesaplayer83, C_Becker and G-Z like this.
  8. I used these, Schallers, but the pin that pulls in/out to connect sheared off, almost lost a bass to floor impact.
    shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9e3zqX36AB1f3ZLW8Q6k0H818i8cM53b97DEUJj_hAKqX6PpIWBl4e5w_Sc1_KQ&usqp=CAc.

Had these Dunlops for 15+ years on all my basses and guitars, never let me down.
    51vKOmrppEL._SL1000_.

Microbass, Bolsyo, lildrgn and 2 others like this.
  9. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Never heard that over an amp - just sayin'...

10. You don't need straplocks, unless you're spinning the instrument behind your back or over your head.
    The rubber washers cause the strap button to bind up against the screw head, spinning the screw & making it work its way out of the wood.

Yes, it has happened to me on more than one instrument, so I stopped using the rubber washers.
    What works for me is oversized strap buttons, like what ESP, G&L, & Ibanez use:
    416rmf2kW3L._SX466_.

11. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Or if you never play out, lol...

Amano, AuBassMan and el jeffe bass like this.
  12. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, unless you don’t play out, some type of strap lock is a must for many of us. The basses I don’t gig with rarely see a strap no less strap locks. But every gigging bass of mine has strap locks installed.

Amano, mesaplayer83 and saabfender like this.
  13. The strap buttons on the DJ look adequate:

DJ4.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  14. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Dunlops on my Strat, Schallers on everything else.

It’s just one of things you just do, like wearing a seatbelt. Wide strap buttons are analogous to a mom sticking her arm out to restrain an unbuckled child.

Microbass, RyanOh and mesaplayer83 like this.
  15. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
  16. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Got wind of these Ergo Lok Strap contraptions, recently. J7007_MED. (the D's for Dunlop) Can't recommend these (yet) as I haven't tested them. But they do look good, especially if you don't want to meddle. I'm happy with schaller's straploks — stock on a number of my axes. But I've been bunging them on everything for decades. Never had to drill, never had a failure. They do need a nip-up initially, be warned — but only because leather etc. has some give — and they benefit sometimes from servicing, very minimal. Basically, just keep an eye on them in case they come loose again, and just hit 'em with a shifter, if they do.

17. Tom Bomb, I tried the plastic strap locks (like the Ergo) and found them large, unsightly and didn't always work. I went with a large washers to ensure my strap does not fall off. So far, so good - but rather permanent
    (which I'm okay with).

Tom Bomb likes this.
  18. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Cheers!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  19. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Yeah, I don't do any kind of spinning moves, but I do tend to throw my basses around pretty good during the course of rocking out a gig... I always have to laugh at people who don't play out, then say you don't need strap locks, lol...

AuBassMan and Stevorebob like this.
  20. Had Schallers strap locks on my P bass, but I lost the strap locks. Without the locks, the Schaller buttons are not secure enough, so I had to replace them. It has Loxx strap locks now.

I don't use strap locks on my jazz bass.