1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strap Locks with Lowest Profile?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bigthemat, Dec 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    What strap locks have the lowest profile? I have Schaller right now, and it has the button that sticks out on the body, which is fine, but it gets loose easily when my bass is in the gig bag and I don't like putting all that pressure on it when the bass is in the case vertically.

So... what strap locks have a system with a smaller button or a lower profile? I found the Dunlop flush mount, but not sure if the horn on my Squier VM Jazz 5 is too narrow or not. What the best options other than the Dunlops for a small profile?

2. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Dunlop flush mount will fit if you want to drill into your bass. I have them on a couple basses and like them. Sorry, that's all I have to offer....

modny123 likes this.
  3. The lowest profile is from a over-sized properly shaped strap button:

AAP684-P.

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I've used just about as many different types of locks as there are. @96tbird is correct; if you want low profile without making permanent modifications to your bass, Loxx is the correct answer here. Loxx are extremely secure, and they make it completely impossible to use a strap that doesn't have Loxx locks installed. Don't leave your strap at home and this will never be a problem.

5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    You can use any other Dunlop end pin types on your bass top horn if you weren't sure the Flush Mount type would fit on it and still use the Flush Mount type on the bottom. BSO sells all Dunlop Straplok end pin types individually.

Other than that, I think you should reconsider the gig bag you are using. Good gig bags like the ones I use from Mono and Gruv Gear have cut out on the bottom for the end pin so that no pressure gets on the end pin even if the case was vertically bumped.

6. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Are you referring to locking strap locks, and the profile from the strap to the top?

If so, then the original Dunlops is probably the lowest, even over the Loxx (is that like Lexxi Foxx?). I did switch to Ernie Ball though for the basses, and left the Dunlops on the guitars. That way, I'm not adjusting a strap when switching between guitar and bass.

ETA: went back to reread, and it appears you want the lowest profile of the part that remains on the bass. I think you're out of luck, they all stick out.

7. modny123

modny123

Sep 14, 2014
    i have dunlop flushmounts on my F bass, they are amazing.

8. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I don't quite get- 'It gets loose easily' What does? The straplock endpin itself? Strap locks should be glued it. The schaller screw is smaller than just about any screw you took out. Smear some white glue on a maple toothpick, drop it in and snap it off, and install the locks. They will stay in forever, but come out easily if you ever want to change them.
    Twice in my life I have managed to hit the release button on Dunlops, and almost dropped my bass. I just don't like them.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  9. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Flush mount Dunlops stick out about 1/16". And if you counterbore the mounting hole they can be perfectly flush.

10. genesound

genesound

Jul 15, 2010
    Studio City, CA
    The Loxx are very secure and easy to install. Be sure to get the large screws (7/16" long thread) for basses.