Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strap locks?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ticktock, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Ticktock

Ticktock

Sep 3, 2003
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what brand of strap lock I should buy? Or what's good from among these three: Dunlop Original StrapLok System, Dunlop Dual-Design StrapLoks, and Fender Strap Locks. And how difficult is it to install these things? I'm not looking to drill a bunch of holes in my bass. Also, I've read something about having to buy special buttons for the Dunlop systems. What's up with that? Are they included?

Thanks in advance.

2. joerosen

joerosen

Jan 30, 2002
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    basicly, there are two:
    1. Schaller straplocks, like the one you can find build in on Fenders, Rickenbackers etc.
    2. Dunlop, like the ones on Peaveys, Warwicks etc.
    My favorite is the Schaller. I find them easier to install, and mush ellegant :cool: , but it's you to decide.
    the installation on the bass is the same in both systems.
    Anything more?

3. Ticktock

Ticktock

Sep 3, 2003
    Nope, that's about it. It seems like the major difference here is the price. About $17 at the local music store for Schallers, and $10 for Dunlops from Musician's Friend. Now I just have to figure out how to play notes other than just the roots...
    Thanks for the speedy reply!

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I don't think too many recording engineers will mind on your selection of straplocks. Off to misc.

PS, I prefer the schallers.

5. only Schaller for me, very good quality....

6. I'm a big fan of the Dunlops, dual design preferably.
    Sure, I had to use a drill, but only to make the existing strap button hole a little deeper.

What I like about the dual designs locks is that even if I don't have my straplock-equipped strap, I can still throw on a regular, non straplock-equipped strap and it'll still hang on my shoulder, it just won't be locked onto the bass. :p

But then again, I've never used or even seen a Schaller lock up close. Afaik they don't sell them in Hong Kong.

7. When I installed my Dunlop system, I did no drilling. I just really laid into the screwdriver and drove the screw into the existing hole. Holds the screw much tighter in there.

8. Same here.

I've tried both the Dunlop classics and the Schallers, and I prefer the Dunlops by far. They are a little tougher to get on, but you don't have to worry about the nuts getting loose.

9. I love my dunlop dual strap locks.

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I use and prefer Schaller straplocks, seem a whole lot easier to use. As to the nut working loose - a little threadlock cures that.....

11. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Dunlops were installed on my Fender when I bought it, and I bought a set when I got my Dean. I haven't installed them yet as the screws are too long, but I'll fix that eventually. The screws are about a half inch too long, so a tiny bit of drilling will fix that.

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Fodera, Lakland, MTD, Elrick, Ken Smith, Modulus.

What do they all have in common?

Factory-installed Dunlop straplocks, or at least the dual-use buttons.

I've had Schallers fall off, and the mechanisim on the strap jam. I'll NEVER put them on another bass, and if I ever get a bass with them, they will be immedately removed and replaced with Dunlops. They CANNOT come off the strap, and with minimal maintainence (i.e. a small drop of 3-In-1 Oil once a year) the mechanisim can't fail.

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I've used both and have no strong preference either way.

One thing I like about the Schallers is that because the little thingie (love that tech talk) on the strap sort of "cups" the knob from below, it has some holding power even if it's not all the way on. Once or twice with Dunlops, I've almost dropped an instrument because a strap lock I thought was firmly seated wasn't and came loose.

One thing I like about Dunlops is, as Gard said, that once you get the thingie onto the strap, there's no way it's coming off. With Schallers, the nut holding the thingie on can come unscrewed, though that's been really rare for me. The Dunlop thingies can, however, be a real pain to put on, and I've cut myself more than once doing it. (The good part is that you only ever have to do it once.)

Also, I think the dual-use Dunlop knobs don't look as nice and elegant on a bass as the Schaller knobs do. Now, the recessed Dunlops actually look pretty sharp on a bass IMHO, but I won't use them because you're screwed if you happened to forget your Strap-Lok'ed strap.

Some combination of the two types would probably be perfect for me, but either one is good enough to use as is IME and a significant improvement over not having any locking at all. If an instrument comes with Dunlops (like my Carvin Holdsworth Fatboy), I wouldn't bother switching it to Schallers, and if it comes with Schallers (like the two Jon Shuker basses I got in the fall), I wouldn't bother switching it to Dunlops. YMMV.

One last thing: if you're thinking of trying both types on an instrument to see which one you like better, keep in mind that they use different size screws. I can't remember which one uses the bigger screws offhand, but I know they're not the same. (At least that's what I *think* I know--it's been a while.) So if you drill out for the type with the bigger screw, you won't be able to switch to the one with the smaller screw without doing some wood filling.

14. And this is the information that sold me on the Dunlops a few days ago at bass central. I had Schallers but i don't say i trust them.

Thanks Gard.:D

15. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Gard, you can add Sadowsky to that list. I used to use the Schallers but I switched to Dunlops partly because my Lakland and my Sadowsky came with them. I never had a Schaller nut come all the way loose, but they got pretty close a couple of times and that can't happen with the Dunlops.

16. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Does anybody have any experience with installing straplocks on a bass with a body made of materials other than wood? (As in Ibanez's "Luthite" material - which just might be a lot like plastic ;) / :meh: )
    It sounds like the screws involved are wood screws (?) and sometimes drilling a pilot hole is necessary (?) - I'm just wondering if that would work okay on my Ergodyne bass made from the Luthite material?

17. I found that to be quite useless on my bass, actually. In fact, it even pulled the strap button clean off, so I had to fill the hole so I could get the darned thing back on. Very annoying.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like it is just as good as their cables.:spit:

19. Dunlops rule.

I've had very good luck with them. 100% security.

I had to explain the benefits of Straplocks to the guitarist in my band, whose Tele just fell off one day. He'd never heard of them. And they say bass players are dumb...sheesh!!!