strap locks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SLiGhTLy_STooPiD, Mar 19, 2001.

1. im thinking of getting strap locks for my bass. i don't have half a clue about them.
    do you have to unscrew everything to get the strap off?
    is it necessary to drill, etc. before putting strap locks on?
    etc etc
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There are basically two types of strap locks.

Most common is the two piece type, where one piece replaces the strap button on your bass and the other attaches to your strap. You then literaly just click the two pieces together and the strap is locked on, push the release button and the strap can be removed. Dunlop and Schaller make this type (the two brands are incompatible with each other, though). These cost $10-20 a set.

Much cheaper (like $1 each) are plastic locks that simply slip over the strap buttons. It has a rotating collar which is twisted 180 degress to lock on the strap. This type is not good for quickly pulling your strap on and off, as you need to rotate the colar, then pull the lock off, etc.

I use both kinds on my basses. On the basses where I use the plastic locks, I just leave the strap on the bass at all times.
  3. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Dimarzio makes the clip tok strap which perminantly attaches to your bass and you take it off by uncliping 2 "clip type thingy's" at each side of the strap.

Thats what I have, but i Duct taped over the clips cuz i dont trust them.
  4. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Brian pretty much said it all. Most people I know like Dunlops, but I put Schaller on all my gear. I just bought one set of locks and a load of extra buttons from
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have Schaller Strap lock on all of my basses & would never play a show with out them (unless I forget my strap & have to borrow one from someone!!!! I've done that too often :))
  6. thanks for all the info!

between dunlop or schaller, which one would you guys reccomend? or is that a rhetorical question?

do they both pretty much do the same things and work the same way?
  7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I recommend the Dunlops. I've had the Schallers drop basses, because the nut that holds the lock on the strap can come loose. The Dunlop uses a C-clip that can't come undone and drop the bass off the strap. Never once had a bass fall off a Dunlop, ever.
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd echo the Dunlop suggestion. I've used them for awhile and I'm extremely happy. They're very easy to use and I've only dropped my bass 5 times. :D Okay, I'm kidding, never once has my bass fallen from my Dunlops, ever.
  9. I prefer Schaller, which I've been using for 3 years without a problem. But it is personal perferance, I won't use dunlops and my guitar players won't use Schaller, however they both work well. My band has never had an instrument fall.
  10. Hey these cheap ones, the one's for like say $1 or so, anything between $1 and $5 i'll buy. where can i get them? or reckon you could buy them and send them to Australia! i'd pay the costs, its just you can't buy that $hit here for under $30.

My strap annoys the crap outta me, always falls off.

11. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Just to cloud the issue a little, my Fbass had what appeared to be regular strap buttons, but it came with straplocks that would click into them (the kind with the center button and the little ball bearings). Neat because you could use the bass with a borrowed strap if needed.
  12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Elderly Instruments (has photo)

Simple, effective black plastic strap lock device. Slips on over strap button to secure the strap.
    SL1S.....list $1.25.....our price $0.85
  13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually, those are Dunlop straplocks. :)
  14. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    OK, those must be bolt on straplocks, my Warwick had recessed Dunlops, and I thought that's how they all came. Live N learn.
  15. the Dunlops come in bolt-on and recessed. i have all ways used schallers but that is because my pedulla came with them, if it had come with dunlops i would be putting dunlops on all my basses.

i never had a problem with the schallers, but i come from a automotive background and put some locktite on them when the nuts came loose the first time
  16. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've used Dunlops for years with no problem UNTIL I got my Warwick with the recessed Dunlop straplocks. I had tons of problems with those. I replaced them 3 times and complained to Warwick/Dunlop/Dana B Goods about it. DBG finally sent me a kit to fill the holes for the recessed Dunlops and attach regular strap pins. I still haven't put the kit in yet, as soon as I got the kit, the Dunlops started behaving!!!! Weird huh??? BTW My guitar player Swears By (not at)
  17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I use Schaller locks. I used to attatch them to the little bolt thing, but found a more efficient way to do it. I put the strap on the strap button and then put the lock in place, with the strap sandwiched in between. That way, if the lock comes off (which never happenned to me), the strap is still attatched to the strap button.

I have no opinion on the Dunlops, except that I think they look neater, but that's not why you buy strap locks.

Will C.:cool:
  18. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    They are really easy to install and use, it doesn't take all of but fifteen min. and that includes the time it would take you to walk in the door and unpackage them. I love mine, saved my life more than once, only prob. is that they vibrate, not much, so for recording I wouldn't use em'
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you sandwich the strap between the outer button and the washer that says 'Dunlop' there is no rattling, unless you have a really thin, cheapo strap.

gruffpuppy, my Pedulla didn't come with the buttons for the Schallers(bought it at GC! DOH!:mad: ), can you buy them separately?
  20. As far as I know you'd have to just buy a set of Schaller locks&buttons for like $25 (more if you want gold) and just use them on the existing buttons of your pedulla.

Then again I could be wrong I've just never seen them offered seperatly.