Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strap Locks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eVersi0n, Feb 14, 2003.

1. eVersi0n

eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    Well, I need something other then the damn strap knobs on my bass, my strap keeps on slipping through, i'v caught my bass out of the 2 times it has slipped, My friend suggested getting some strap locks, I don't know much (anything) about strap locks, except it "locks the bass to your strap", are there any decent brands i should look for? How much do they range in price? I take it i need a special strap also? and how about installation, is it as easy as unscrewing the screwes and screwing the strap locks in?

Thanks

(also note i have a BTB405qm, just to let you know what kinda weight i'm dealing with)

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The two most popular brads of straplocks are Dunlop and Schaller. The buttons replace the ones you currently have on your bass, yes they screw on. The 'lock' part that attaches to the button simply goes in the button-hole on whatever strap you now have...no special straps needed.

They are well worth it! They only cost about $10 bucks for the kit.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Please do, a, search,..........Please do, a, search,......................Please do, a, search,......................Please do, a, search,....................Please do, a, search,..................Please do, a, search,...............Please do, a, search,....................Please do, a, search,..............Please do, a, search,

*Polly rocks back and forth in corner of room, going insane*

Go to search. type in "Straplocks". There is already a thread on this subject. Kind Polly reminder: Please remember to do a search, you might not even need to post a new thread, and find all the information you needed in the other thread. Also, this does not belong in "Basses", but you knew that didn't you.;)

Ok, i'll be nice.

Dunlop, Schaller, good brand name ones, they use different systems, look at both. Think they can be had for around 16 bucks, not sure. A reguler strap works fine. there are no straps made for strap locks. Some just slip in the same hole as your stock strap buttons. some need to be drilled bigger before they are put in (sometimes, anyway. I belive this is what you have to do with dunlops)
    There. now.

GO DO A SEARCH!!! PLEASE!!!!;)

4. eVersi0n

eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    I did a search for "Strap Locks", took a look through the first 2 pages or so, nothing really what i was looking for, I know i could of looked harder, and found what i needed, and yeah i did know that this doesn't belong here, but i knew i'd get a reply within 5 mins (which i did and got what i needed to know)

thanks guys!.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

In addition to those that Caca de Kick mentioned (I use Schallers myself), there are also a few other methods. DiMarzio brought out a strap that you attach the ends to the strap buttons on the bass, and the strap part locks into these ends using ruck-sack like connectors (I have a strap like this on my acoiustic geetar)

Also, there are plastic discs - two discs with a heyhole shape in the middle. You put the strap on, then put this disc over the button. You then rotate one of the discs at least 90 degrees - the keyhole shape becomes a circle that's too small to com over the strap button.

LAst option, is the rubber grommet from Grolsch lager bottles. This is the rubber seal under the 'cork' in the bottle with the fancy arrangement on top. Just a big slightly stretchy pink rubber washer. These do the trick as well.

Hope this helps!

6. Big washers that have smaller holes then that of the end of your strap button can work, too.. But I'd rather use proper strap locks. The plastic 'key hole' like ones that Johnny are taking about are, but I found they sometimes came off, and sometimes break... :)