Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strap pin extension for G&L ASAT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scottie Johnson, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    What's up guys and gals, I need some ideas for a strap pin extension on my ASAT. This would be so the strap pin hooks up at about the twelveth fret or close to that area. I hope I'm making sense, I know that someone sells something like this on the Dudepit, but I don't want to mess with the neck plate. It makes me nervous. I can handle truss rod adjustment, but I don't have the guts to take off the neck. So if everyone could shout some ideas my way, that would be very appreciated.

Remember, owning an ASAT is not a requirement to post in this thread and all ideas are welcome.

:help:

2. I have seen a strap button that goes in the same spot but just sticks out a few inches and you hook on to the end of it. I usually see these on warwick thumb basses but I think it would work well with the ASAT also. I have know idea where you would get one though.

3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I've spent years trying to figure out the best solution to that problem. Finally came up with the ASE that have been sold both here and on "the Pit". Removing the neck plate is really simple and without harming the bass.
    I would love to hear other suggestions. I have ASE's on all 6 of my ASAT basses. Hangs like any bass with a top horn. Could not play without them.
    Good luck,
    Dan

4. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004

I'm envious of you, dude. What colors are your ASAT's? Do you have any so the semi-hollow ones. How much is the difference in sound? I must know. :D

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I don't understand what you're talking about here. Could you elaborate please?
    I've used a mod before that works. Cut a sheet of acrylic to a similar shape as the top half of the rear of your bass, but also add extensions so that it allows you to place the 'upper horn' strap pin where you want it in it's new location. Quarter inch clear is good. Fabricate some small 'L' brackets out of aluminium and screw/glue them into the acrylic so they line up with the original strap pin mounts. Remove the original strap pins, line up the new L brackets and screw them to the body using the original holes; bridge end often uses the original strap pin too. Mount the other strap pin on the other end. This can be removed later with no marks/mods to the original body, and was designed to be used on neckthroughs with no neck plate. With clear or black acrylic it's near impossible to see on stage. Cost is about $5 and an hour.

For bolt ons (using original neck plate bolts), or NT's or something else you don't mind adding holes too, something like in the Steinberger pic below works well too. Pretty self explanatory how to make it.

6. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    #1- silver metallic, double bound slab body, #7 neck, matching headstock [custom ordered in 1999]
    #2- silver sparkle top, slab body,top bound [white], black back and sides, #7 birdseye maple neck w/ gun oil tint [custom ordred in 2000]
    #3- clear orange semi hollow, top bound, matching headstock
    #4- black semi hollow, top bound, matching headstock
    #5- belair green, w/ belly contour
    #6- greenburst, mahogany body AND neck, matching headstock
    To be honest, I don't hear much of a difference with the semi hollows but they sure feel great after the 3rd set. You can see 4 of these at the G&L family album at the Dudepit website.

7. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I just checked those out on dudepit and they look great. I can't even pick a favorite. All ASATs are beautiful to me. I'm really attached to mine and it makes my other basses sound like rubberbands on a 2x4.

8. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I replaced the original 3 bolt neck plate with a 1/4" aluminum neck plate, anodized black, with an attatched arm that reaches out to the 13th fret. The result is a bass that feels and hangs like any bass with a top horn. It's very stealth and easily returned to original.

9. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Your preachin to the choir brother! Thanks for the kind words. Best part, you don't see many basses like them around.

10. what's wrong with the sound of rubberbands on a 2x4? I'm sure there's an application for that sound somewhere (probably a Budweiser ad or something).

Anyway...I saw a couple of photos the other day of that extension that ASATMAN was talking about. A very ingenious mod! It doesn't detract from the look of the bass at all, looks sturdy...and best of all...it's REVERSIBLE! A wonderful piece of ingenuity!

If you could post those photos again (or link to them) I think the original poster would be appreciative.

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Dan's extender works great though, and it's a breeze to put on. I had no difficulty whatsoever, and it's doing just fine. No trouble at all.

12. torqueflite

torqueflite

Jun 21, 2003
    Otis Co. USA
    Hip**** makes a tuning machine that more or less bolts in and help the balance somewhat.

13. torqueflite

torqueflite

Jun 21, 2003
    Otis Co. USA
    Hipshot makes a tuning machine that more or less bolts in and help the balance somewhat.

14. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Where can you get these? I looked on the DudePit, but their search isn't very good and I didn't find anything.

15. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Showdown,
    You can email me at dpierce84@insightbb.com for info about the ASE.