strap pin hole too big

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ilovefruitpie, Jun 15, 2005.

1. ilovefruitpie

Apr 23, 2004
    hey guys i got a fender mark hoppus jazz on ebay and it had jim dunlop straplocks on it. i got a dimarzio straplock strap for it but when it ook out the screws that were on it some toothpick came out and the hole was big for the screw. :help: how exactly do i go about putting toothpicks int here to make the screw go in or is there another way. i want it to be very stable as i jump around alot when i play and i would hate for it to come ripping out during a show. thanks.

oh and also where can i get the allen wrench to adjust the string height on the bridge.
  2. Instead of toothpicks, I prefer to use a wooden matchstick or a piece of soft wood like pine carved to fit snuggly in the screw hole.

Having said that, give your filler piece a light coating of a good wood glue like Titebond or similar. Don't use regular white glue... make sure it's a good woodworkers or carpenters glue. After the piece is glued in, leave it cure at least 24 hours. Then make sure that the exposed end is trimmed off flush, drill a small pilot hole and insert the screw normally. Be careful of the drill angle though, try to approximate the original screw angle for balance.

As for the Allen wrench, you can find them at any good hardware store. Unless it is a really small or really unusual size, then you may have to order one from Fender. Try the hardware store first, you will most likely have to buy a complete set, less than ten bucks usually, and you will eventually need some of the other wrenches for something. :D Try to find out first if it is a standard or metric screw so you don't have to buy two sets :eek: Maybe someone else will come along and post the size :)

3. ilovefruitpie

Apr 23, 2004
    what do u mean when u say drill a small pilot hole. so do you fill it up all the way with matchsticks then drill a little hole in it? thanks.
  4. yup! Drill a hole about 1/2 of the diameter of the screw to a depth of about 3/4 of the distance the screw will actually go into the bass. If you just run the screw straight in without a pilot hole you will risk the wood splitting :eek:

If you drill it correctly, the screw threads have plenty of material to "bite" into, and the risks are drastically reduced.

5. ilovefruitpie

Apr 23, 2004
    jeez i hope my dad has a drill bit that small lol